CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Once again, headlamps suggested.

Once again my dumb caddy says "headlamps suggested" when it's the middle of the freakin day. This is really getting irrtating because I can't see how fast I'm going. I wish I could just shut the headlights off, but that's all it does. It doesn't shut the guage lights off so everything goes dim. I can't drive it when it does this. The last time I just unhooked the battery and it worked again, but I can't keep doing this every other day. I have no codes at all. Anyone else have this problem? I've also tryed cleaning the photocell, but that was a waste of time.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

Rainsense is off. Trust me, I have went through everything. This is the third time I've had to do this dang thing. I have to disconnect the battery and wait about 15 minutes and then it seems to be ok for awhile.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

I found something else out. When I'm having this problem, I can shut off the headlights, but the dashlights won't go off. When it's straightened out, after I unhook the battery for awhile, I can shut the headlights off manually when it's dark out and the dashlights go out too. I doubt it will help figure out what's wrong, but I just thought I'd mention it.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

I am no expert on this stuff but it sounds to me like it is something maybe learned in the system. Since the battery disconect has worked for a short time, try it again but over night and maybe try touching the negetive cable to the positive cable after they are off the battery to totally drain the system of any current. Worth a try. Any comments. As I mentioned before, I had the same issue and the simple disconnect did work for me.

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

Thanks, I'll try the touching the cables when they are off the next time I have to disconnect.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

You say ONCE AGAIN. I just looked back at your prior threads and unless I missed it, I don't see that you discussed this before at least not in a dedicated thread. I did a search under your name and SUGGESTED and only this came up http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...ested&st=30

Have you discussed this and tried to fix it before and THAT is why you are so frustrated?

Have you replaced your twilight sensor? If it is bad, it could be telling the PCM, "it's dark out guys we need lights" when its not dark out. It's DUMB as you say, because it's possibly getting bad information from a sensor. Its acting on information its getting from the sensor. If the sensor says its DARK, the PCM calls for lights.

If you look in your service manual, the proper resistence might be in there, it sounds like the sensor is bad to me. This is an inexpensive sensor to buy and its easy to install.

I have a similar problem, I get lights during the day, but I don't get the message even with the Sentinel off and I need to diagnose it but it has been low on the list

post-2998-1183979666_thumb.jpg

post-2998-1183979739_thumb.jpg

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I had posted awhile ago, but it disappeared along with a few other topics I started awhile ago. I suppose it happened when the site was having troubles. If it was the sensor acting strange and telling the PCM that it's dark outside, why would it act different from when everything is working right and it is dark outside. If you read my prior post, I state that the dashlights will NOT shut off when I'm having the headlight during the day problem. When everything is working right and I shut the lights off during the night, the dashlights shut off too. If it was just thinking it was dark outside, it should act EXACTLY the same, at least I would think so. I'm not sure if a bad sensor would cause this or not. If the sensor was bad, wouldn't it more than likely do this all the time? Not just whenever it feels like it.

I don't have a service manual so I can't look any of that information up. Also, I have not replaced the sensor. I'm going to wait until it does it again and try draing the current out of the system completely and if that doesn't work I'll look at buying a new sensor.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

I had posted awhile ago, but it disappeared along with a few other topics I started awhile ago. I suppose it happened when the site was having troubles. If it was the sensor acting strange and telling the PCM that it's dark outside, why would it act different from when everything is working right and it is dark outside. If you read my prior post, I state that the dashlights will NOT shut off when I'm having the headlight during the day problem. When everything is working right and I shut the lights off during the night, the dashlights shut off too. If it was just thinking it was dark outside, it should act EXACTLY the same, at least I would think so. I'm not sure if a bad sensor would cause this or not. If the sensor was bad, wouldn't it more than likely do this all the time? Not just whenever it feels like it.

I don't have a service manual so I can't look any of that information up. Also, I have not replaced the sensor. I'm going to wait until it does it again and try draing the current out of the system completely and if that doesn't work I'll look at buying a new sensor.

That happened to me but somehow fixed itself, when I asked the caddy technician he stated it's probably the light switch, not the sensor.

Archived