CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Type of oil

MrEl01

OTOH, I *DO* use a top tier gasoline.

Nope, I'm not taking the bait! :P

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

OTOH, I *DO* use a top tier gasoline.

Nope, I'm not taking the bait! :P

Coward! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Honestly, gentlemen, I had no idea this was such a touchy subject. My Eldo is in the 1000-1500 mile per quart range and all I was hopeing to do was try and improve that by asking if maybe a different oil would help with that. From reading the post that you have put up I COULD TELL it had been discussed before. This is my first Cadillac and I really want to learn how to take care of it. I will appreciate any knowledge that I could gain from your experence(s). Before my next question I promise to research the archives to make sure I'm not reviving and old issue after a calm.

But now, about that wax, I really like Magu.......

Duff

I've never found the Rotella 10-30...

So I use Rotella 15W40, with excellent results. Burns about a quart every 3000, but some of that might be valve seals. It blows a lot of blue smoke on a cold start up. Runs really good, a steady cruise at 65 is getting me 25.2 MPG, as of my last 100 mile trip.

This will cause people to flip out, but I still change every 3000 miles. Oil life typically says 50% or 49% at that time. I'm not an old fart yet, but my mentors at a young age would qualify, and they all told me the same thing: "Oil's cheap. Filter's are cheap. It's cheap insurance." I change it myself though, so that saves a pile of cash vs. the oil change places.

I ALWAYS use decent premium gas. In my car, the mileage makes up for the difference in price, and the performance is the icing on the cake.

This is a fairly civilized oil thread.... I'm proud of you guys... B)

I've never found the Rotella 10-30...

This will cause people to flip out, but I still change every 3000 miles. Oil life typically says 50% or 49%

I ALWAYS use decent premium gas. In my car, the mileage makes up for the difference in price, and the performance is the icing on the cake.

I won't flip out, Ranger might :lol: . I change at 3000 mi as well. I forced myself to go 4000 mi the last change and I didn't like it.

You can get Rotella 10/30 at O'Reilly's. If they don't stock it, they'll order it for you.

I also use premium only.

Rotella10W-30.jpg

Honestly, gentlemen, I had no idea this was such a touchy subject. My Eldo is in the 1000-1500 mile per quart range and all I was hopeing to do was try and improve that by asking if maybe a different oil would help with that.

We're not angry with you, we're just having some good natured banter. Never be bashful about asking questions, that's what this forum is for.

Oil consumption at the rate of one quart every 1000 to 1500 miles is pretty normal for a Northstar, in my experience. I don't worry about it, I just check the oil every time I wash the car. When it's about 3/4 quart low, a add a half a quart. I keep a couple of quarts in the trunk in case I'm in the middle of nowhere and the DIC tells me the oil is low.

As has been said earlier in this thread, Northstars have an agressive cylinder bore hatching. That keeps the upper rings well oiled so the engine won't wear out prematurely. Oil consumption is the trade-off. Adding a little oil periodically has another advantage. It keeps the oil in your crankcase fresher. This factor is not considered in the oil life monitor calculations. It just adds an extra margin of safety.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

You can get Rotella 10/30 at O'Reilly's. If they don't stock it, they'll order it for you.

I also use premium only.

I'd buy that oil if I ever saw it! Probably uses the Shell XHVI (?) basestock just like the Pennzoil Platinum. It is now Shell/Pennzoil you know. Is that oil rated SM or SL? If it were still SL, that would be perfect for my flat tappet '99.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I'd buy that oil if I ever saw it! Probably uses the Shell XHVI (?) basestock just like the Pennzoil Platinum. It is now Shell/Pennzoil you know. Is that oil rated SM or SL? If it were still SL, that would be perfect for my flat tappet '99.

It's rated SM but....... because it's a diesel oil it has alot more anti-wear additives then a starburst "gasoline engine only" oil. As you can see on the label it's also SL and SJ rated.

RotellaAPIspecs.jpg

Just messing with you Duff :P but if you ask about : tires, wiper blades, mufflers, wax, gas, air freshners your a dead man :ph34r:

Welcome to the Board, Glad your here!

Joe

(. . . and the second most emotionally emotionally polarizing subject is car wax.)

If you don't believe me, just watch this thread: http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=13844

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Archived