CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

TCC Solenoid-Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid

kdaddy

I found out the issue with my shifting problem with my caddy. Its the TCC solenoid. Its a cheap and easy fix that any DIY could do. That being said why does my transmission shift fine now that I have it disconnected? I heard that if you run it without it connected you run the risk of burning up your tranny. Is that true? And if so why?

Kyle

The TCC solenoid has nothing to do with shifting. It locks the torque converter at 41 MPH for better fuel mileage. With it disconnected there is some minor slippage (100-200 RPM at any given speed), so you' will loose about 1 MPG in fuel economy.

this is the 2wire solenoid harness?

There should be no problem disconnected EXCEPT there may be a code set.

there are several conditions that must be met for TCC lockup to happen, SO the vehicle sometimes

will operate without lockup.

What was the problem you had? Was the TCC stuck on??

Kev, Ranger

The tranny would shift HARD on downshift from 2nd to 1st. Also, it would slam down from OD when I hit the accelerator at highway speeds. I did some research that brought me to the TCC as the problem. Like I said I disconnected it and now it shifts like new. Smooth as glass. This is why I was wondering if I disconnected it would something negative result. I really don't want to replace it now because it shifts GREAT!

Kyle

KevinW gave excellent information in the other thread - I would get a factory service manual and read up on the TCC solenoid replacment and then replace the solenoid so the car is restored to proper operation.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

What are the codes at this time?

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

• 3 weeks later...

The Codes are 28 and 39 AFTER it was disconnected. The code 28 -Open Fourth Gear Circuit

39 - TCC Engagement Problem

Like I said the car shifts fine now that it is disconnected. My question is did the "old School" trannys prior to electronics have some slippage and that the TCC was added to compensate for that to increase gas mileage? The reason I am asking is because it shifts great now but I hope that it is NOT going to be detrimental to my tranny.

Archived