CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New owner - 1993 Seville...HELP

GOOB

Hello All,

I have been gone for a year (since I totaled my 91 Seville last February) but I am back again. I just bought a 1993 Seville last Monday and I think I got a LEMON!!! First of all, I had to change the water pump after only two days. Then, two days later, I was back at the shop getting the radiator changed. Every once in a while, it takes a couple of attempts before it starts. Now just a short while ago, while in the garage, I was attempting to start the engine. The first attempt failed. During the second attempt there was a loud bang from under the hood and I actually saw the hood move as if something banged against it and a little smoke came from under the hood. After popping the hood, I noticed that the small plate in the front (with "NORTHSTAR" inscribed on it) was shifted out of place and the underside of the hood looked like something banged against it in that same area. I pushed the car out of the garage and started it up (two attempts). I took it for a short ride (got on the engine pretty good) and noticed no problems at all.

Can someone tell me what in the hell happened?

there was a loud bang from under the hood and I actually saw the hood move as if something banged against it and a little smoke came from under the hood. After popping the hood, I noticed that the small plate in the front (with "NORTHSTAR" inscribed on it) was shifted out of place and the underside of the hood looked like something banged against it in that same area

oo boy... :huh: sounds bad :o is the previous owner of the car still alive? :lol: sorry, could not resist :D

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Check your codes by turning the key on, engine off, then press and hold the "off" and "warmer" buttons on the climate control panel until the codes start. Get a pencil and paper ready and write the codes down that come up in the message center and post them. That way we can tell if there are other problems.

I have a 96 STS and i just got her back today, got the rad. replaced may i ask how much you paid?  fair is fair I paid $415.22

Was your core or the end tanks bad? I just had an end tank changed for less than $100.

Don't give up on it just yet. So far you are into it for a water pump, radiator & probably a FPR. Considering it's 11 years old and probably has some miles on it, you have to expect a few repairs. Maybe they just all hit you at the same time and it will be trouble free for a long time to come.

Sounds like it backfired into the intake and the top cover vented the pressure...as it is designed to do.

Hows does the intake vent on a 93-94 Northstar? I haven't noticed any type of pressure valve, just curious I haven't had a problem; yet.

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Sounds like it backfired into the intake and the top cover vented the pressure...as it is designed to do.

Usually something that creates a rich mixture in the intake manifold during the shutdown and soak period will cause a backfire like you describe. That thing might be the fuel pressure regulator. In a 93 it is under the top cover of the intake..actually inside the intake manifold. You have to take the perimeter row of screws out of the silver top cover (leave the 4 inner, recessed bolts in place) and lift off the top cover. The fuel pressure regulator is at the end by the throttle body. You will see a vacuum nipple on the regulator but no vacuum line/hose since it is inside the manifold. Turn on the key with the cover off to pressurize the fuel system and watch the vacuum nipple for signs of fuel leakage...there should be none. Do NOT start the engine or crank with the cover off...just turn on the key to energize the fuel pump to do the check. Really, with that many miles and that age I would just get a replacement FPR and change it while you are in there. It is getting to be a normal high mileage/10 year maintenance item seems like...LOL.

I probably won't look at this until this weekend but do I need any special/shop tools to change the FPR? I still have my Chilton's from my 91 Seville. It covers this year and engine also.

Check your codes by turning the key on, engine off, then press and hold the "off" and "warmer" buttons on the climate control panel until the codes start. Get a pencil and paper ready and write the codes down that come up in the message center and post them. That way we can tell if there are other problems.

I should of done this in the first post. Like I said, I've been gone for a while, I forgot the "rules"...thanx for the reminder. Anyway, the codes are:

P052 History

P074 History

P109 History

I052 History

S044 History

No ACP

No SIP

No TCS

Nothing came up current

I have a 96 STS and i just got her back today, got the rad. replaced may i ask how much you paid? fair is fair I paid $415.22

That makes me feel a whole lot better (yeah, right). $166 for labor, $455 for parts, total with tax and misc. was $656.48. Colonial Cadillac / Norfolk, Va...just SOUTH of you. I kept the old one but have not yet check it for the crack yet. It was very mysterious since they just pressure checked the system the day before for the water pump(?).

Just FYI - I recently priced a new FPR for my 95 SLS and it was just under $100 for the part through Brasington, so it's not cheap but also not a killer. I need to do the Guru test to see if mine is leaking or not.

I have an occasional hard start with a warm engine or when it is very damp out. When the hard start occurs I sometimes smell gas (rich mixture). Maybe I'll have time to check it out this weekend... Could also be one or more leaking injectors.

On the brighter side I found a cargo/trunk net on EBay today for $12 inc. shipping. Dealer wanted over $50 for a new one.

Archived