CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

A quick question?

Hi guys,

I had the transmission fluid changed today and my coolant changed.

I went to check my oil tonight cause i did an oil change the other day

and i checked it tonight and my fluid had a red tint to it.

Could transmission fluid somehow have gotten mixed in with my oil?

Why the heck would it be reddish in color?

Any ideas?

Do i need to change the oil again?Just did it 2 days ago.

Thanks Mike

I would venture that the mechanic accidentally put a quart of ATF into the oil. So long as it's not overfilled it won't hurt anything. It's not overfilled?

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Hi Ranger,

tranmission fluid level is fine i checked it.

So you think he put some tranmission fluid in with my oil?

Why would he do this and do you think this will be ok?

Sorry for being panicky but i don't want nothing to go wrong with this car!

Could he have heard that little knock i was talking about in the other caddy forum

And added it to it to help it maybe?

Thanks

Mike

Nothing wrong with a little trans fluid in the crankcase (if that is what it is). I used to put a qt of trans fluid in with every oil change years ago.

We'll it is red in color so i'm pretty sure thats what it is.What kind of benefits do you get from this if any?

Kind of surprised they wouldn't at least tell me they were going to do this.

Will this be fine in there till my next oil change?Do i need to maybe change it sooner?

Or just change it when the Dic tells me too.

Thanks

Mike

They did that by accident, and I am sure they would not admit that they did it. Make sure its not over the full level.

Me?, I would change it ASAP, while its detergent level is high, its viscosity is not high, and since you just changed your oil it will be in there for 3000 to 7000 miles, not good...IMHO I have heard of people putting a quart of ATF fluid in the crankcase a couple of days before their oil change. Your 96 has flat rubbing lifters and tappets, with the reduced ZDDP in the oils you need all the friction protection you can get.

Dump it and just chalk it up to the reason why its best to DIY.....

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

We'll it is red in color so i'm pretty sure thats what it is.What kind of benefits do you get from this if any?

Kind of surprised they wouldn't at least tell me they were going to do this.

Will this be fine in there till my next oil change?Do i need to maybe change it sooner?

Or just change it when the Dic tells me too.

Thanks

Mike

The benefit, like Mike said is higher detergent. The downside is lower viscosity. If it is only one qt. I would not worry about it, but you don't know how much is in there. Whether to leave it or not is a decision you will have to make. If you decide to change it, you might go back and make THEM change it.

Archived