CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Best method and/or product for tar removal

davedog

I have what I think to be tar over a good portion of my caddy. You can't really see it unless you look real close, but you can feel tiny little bumps, mostly near the front and on the sides of the vehicle. I have tried a couple products by Turtle wax (various "Bug & Tar Removal" products), with little to no results. If I really work the same area several times, some of the bumps go away, but it would take me forever to do the whole caddy. It's really annoying too, because when I wash the car, it leaves little streaks behind each bump where I guess the soap started to work at eating away the tar. My wife thinks the car "looks great" - but it's really bothering me. :lol:

Things I've tried with little to no resuts:

60hm55d.jpg211656_front200.jpg

Any suggestions? Would one of those $20 clay bar kits help? I've never used one, but at this point I'll try anything if it will work.

Thanks guys!

-dave B)

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Hi,

I don't know whether this is ecologically correct or healthy or whatever, but I use some plain simple gasoline on a rag, works for me.

Then I apply some wax on the treated area.

Stefan

I swear by the clay bar, but a cheaper way is using Kerosene. It is not as harsh as gasoline and will work just fine.

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2001 Cadillac Seville STS

2000 Ford Ranger XLT
1998 Mitsubishi Spyder Convertible

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD
1965 VW Beetle "Herbie The Love Bug Replica**

1961 VW Beetle

Thanks for the tip. I was thinking that or WD-40 - didn't know if it would dull or dry out or generally be bad for the paint/clearcoat?

I have what I think to be tar over a good portion of my caddy. You can't really see it unless you look real close, but you can feel tiny little bumps, mostly near the front and on the sides of the vehicle. I have tried a couple products by Turtle wax (various "Bug & Tar Removal" products), with little to no results. If I really work the same area several times, some of the bumps go away, but it would take me forever to do the whole caddy. It's really annoying too, because when I wash the car, it leaves little streaks behind each bump where I guess the soap started to work at eating away the tar. My wife thinks the car "looks great" - but it's really bothering me. :lol:

Any suggestions? Would one of those $20 clay bar kits help? I've never used one, but at this point I'll try anything if it will work.

Thanks guys!

-dave B)

Get an old rag and wet it down with charcoal lighter fliud, wipe it over the tar pitted area and it goes away very easy. Forget everything else. Just don't smoke while your doing it! Wash the area as usual when you are done. Not a volitile as gas but gas works just fine also.

I use Coleman Lantern Fuel (white gas) to remove tar - it is relatively inexpensive and won't harm the finish. It will remove the wax though so you'll need to reapply wax in the affected areas.

If the commercial products didn't work, it's possible you have some other bonded contaminates on the finish. The clay bar will remove such bonded contaminates. I bought some at IdiotZone a couple of years ago for $10... My thought was, "For 10 bucks, it had better work...." :lol: I divided the clay in two parts and sp far, have only used the first half. It will make the finish like new again. I typically do my cars on an as-needed basis right after washing them and then apply a coat of wax afterward.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thanks for all these suggestions - great advice. I will probably invest in the caly bar soon, for the time being I did try some regular gas with a rag on a small part so the effected area of the hood - it seemed to work GREAT! Anybody know if there is any danger for the paint/clearcaot with this method? I sure don't want to damage to pretty paint! I'll probably just pay for the clay bar, but that was so easy with the gas!

Thanks again guys!

First of all, it's probably not tar, unless its black, in which case the kerosene or diesel fuel is the best remover of all. If it isn't black, then most likely it it tree sap. Now you need to make a decision. If the tree is a pine tree (you know, the one you park under sometimes) I'd try turpentine, if not, possibly mineral spirits. Niether of these should harm your finish, but the standard cautions apply here. Reserve the clay bar for last if you have a dark finish on your car..........if it is white or a light color, go to the clay bar if the kerosene or turpentine fails.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Thanks guys!

-dave B)

Get an old rag and wet it down with charcoal lighter fliud, wipe it over the tar pitted area and it goes away very easy. Forget everything else. Just don't smoke while your doing it! Wash the area as usual when you are done. Not a volitile as gas but gas works just fine also.

Pretty much the same as Kerosene

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2001 Cadillac Seville STS

2000 Ford Ranger XLT
1998 Mitsubishi Spyder Convertible

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD
1965 VW Beetle "Herbie The Love Bug Replica**

1961 VW Beetle