CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Tanny Slipping?

AaronM

Hi,

I have a 92 STS with 103K miles on it. Today I came to a stop sign and when I started going forward again the car barely moved and I was giving it 3K RPM. It was as if I was in neutral. I yanked the shifter into 1 and back into drive and it took off normally. Any ideas of what is going on? Is my tranny about to blow?

THANKS!

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

Flowmaster 80 series muffler :D

The only code I received was A040 in the history. I'm hoping this was just a one time hiccup!

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

The only code I received was A040 in the history. I'm hoping this was just a one time hiccup!

Did you check the fluid level? Low fluid will cause this problem.

Did they have the 4T80-E in that year?

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

Did they have the 4T80-E in that year?

The 4T80E came with the Northstar beginning in 1993.

The 4.9 engine got the 4T60E.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Although it may be a bit premature, my bet would be the tranny is on it's way out. The 4t60 is not nearly as reliable as the 4t80. It seems as though failure (of some sort) is almost inevitable at/around 100,000 miles.

A.J.

Hi,

Thank you for the replies! I checked the tranny fluid level and it was a little below the line. So, I will get that refilled ASAP! I think I am going to keep this car for another couple years and hopefully sell it before the tranny blows. I'll probably get a C4 vette or an ETC next.

THanks!

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

Maybe a hiccup.

This might interest you:

http://www.4t60e.com/

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived