CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Phishing for Caddyinfo Members

Bruce,

I don't know if this guy hacked into your site, but wanted to make you aware of what he is up to. Has any other Caddyinfo members been contacted that your aware of? I see he did post an introductory msg on the discussion board, so he is not back dooring as I first suspected but he is still sending unsolicited emails to members. Is this a common occurance between similar topic forums?

Rick

Message Forwarded From Joeychgo

Just wanted to say hi.

I would like to invite you to another discussion board --

Lincoln vs Cadillac Discussion Groups

A place for luxury and performance car owners to discuss their cars and how to maintain them, restore them, modify them and simply enjoy them. We are new but growing fast and really are working hard to recruit cadillac owners.

Hope to see you soon.

Joeychgo

Lincoln vs Cadillac.com

I have gotten other similar reports. I know that there is a tendency when one is starting a new site to over-advertise it in an effort to generate some critical mass traffic. Hard to think that individual emails would have an impact however, they just seem to be irritating the recipients.

Our terms here do not allow for usage of the service for spam (see Terms of Usage at the top of the page). I did visit that site to look around, but I found very little Cadillac content there. In some ways the base premise is wrong; Cadillac has little need to compete with Lincoln; it's Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes that are the market.

My ongoing view is that the existing forums capture such a small percentage of Cadillac owners as a whole that there is plenty of room for more forums. I visit the CTS forums on other sites, and post or reply if I have info to share.

If you're not having fun on hobby forums, you're doing it wrong.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I received the same PM. I didn't go to the site because I could give a 'Hoot" about lincolns. Is it Spam? Looks like spam. Smells like spam. Walks like spam. Hmmm.

rek

If you're not having fun on hobby forums, you're doing it wrong.

Well said, Bruce. It sure seems we've all been having fun for a few years now, so I'd venture to say you're doing it right! ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Watch out for this guy. He's doing this to ALL Cadillac sites. He's done it to my members (I caught him after his first 10 private messages). There's a legit way of doing things, and otherwise. He seems to believe in the latter...

I don't understand some people's logic.. You want a busy Cadillac site - so you tick-off three of the largest Cadillac site's owners online? CaddyInfo.com, CadillacForums.com and CaddyEdge.com... Nice going...

Otherwise, he's a decent guy. I've talked to him on the phone before...

Sal Collaziano

Cadillac Magazine

• 2 weeks later...

I never sent mass PMs. I didn't have any email lists. I never took advantage of anyone or anything. The last thing a message board administrator wants is to have somebody abuse their own PM system to spam members about another message board.

Members of my site came from the signature I was allowed to have at gmforums.com - from there, it was mostly word of mouth that built the site. I PM'd a few people for various reasons with my signature intact - not specifically an invitation. And MAYBE I sent out 4 or 5 PMs at gmforums. That's it. Furthermore, the PM was in regards to something entirely unrelated to my site.

Another way I obtained members was to send out individual invitations to people I found on the web. I didn't go behind anyone's back - I emailed the email adress I saw on the screen - whether it was posted on their own website - or posted on a forum. There wasn't anything unethical about it. I suppose the Worst thing I did was email people when I received a response like, "I don't own a Cadillac anymore but I bet this guy would be interested"..

Again, I did nothing unethical to build my membership.

Sal Collaziano

Cadillac Magazine

Archived