CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

The sad thing is the camera operators recognize that they live on/near a hill and that there will be wrecks anytime there is ice/snow. So they know they can simply set up the tripod and wait for the action. Yet the drivers seem oblivious to the problem until they are stuck sliding sideways into other cars.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Yes, I heard guys right by the camera yelling for people to look out when someone started down the street of no return.

What part of "Chains Required" do these people not understand? You can get close-fitting plastic "chains" even for Cadillacs that simply recommend that you don't use tire chains.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Yes, I heard guys right by the camera yelling for people to look out when someone started down the street of no return.

What part of "Chains Required" do these people not understand? You can get close-fitting plastic "chains" even for Cadillacs that simply recommend that you don't use tire chains.

I work in Portland and this type of weather is not all that common and besides Portland as well as Seattle has some pretty good hills that can be difficult to navigate in this environment. This video clearly shows why I leave my STS parked in this type of weather. Somedays it's just better to stay home. If you have a 4x4, I believe I would have used 4x4-low. Don't believe AWD vehiles have this capability.

I've often wondered if we could put chains on our Caddys. It's the one car I don't have chains for.

Jim

The owner's manual says not to use chains on my 1997 ETC because there isn't enough fender clearance. I've seen nylon "chains" for sale that use less than an inch of space, and I suspect that driving very carefully so that you don't use your suspension travel would work with these chains, and I think having a set in the trunk for emergency use would be a good idea. I would just put them on when absolutely necessary, drive like a grandma under 20 mph with them on, and take them off as soon as possible.

If you have sheet ice, as this road apparently did, 4WD and snow tires on a 4X4 juste makes a more spectacular projectile sliding down the road backwards. Look at the video and you will see a few of those sliding slowly out of control. On that road on that day, I wouldn't even travel it on chains at <5 mph in anything. The fire trucks with their heavy metal chains could do it, of course.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The owner's manual says not to use chains on my 1997 ETC because there isn't enough fender clearance. I've seen nylon "chains" for sale that use less than an inch of space, and I suspect that driving very carefully so that you don't use your suspension travel would work with these chains, and I think having a set in the trunk for emergency use would be a good idea. I would just put them on when absolutely necessary, drive like a grandma under 20 mph with them on, and take them off as soon as possible.

If you have sheet ice, as this road apparently did, 4WD and snow tires on a 4X4 juste makes a more spectacular projectile sliding down the road backwards. Look at the video and you will see a few of those sliding slowly out of control. On that road on that day, I wouldn't even travel it on chains at <5 mph in anything. The fire trucks with their heavy metal chains could do it, of course.

I'll keep an eye out for the chains. Because if the (DOT) calls for traction devices, in my Caddy that means chains or studded tires.

WRT 4WD, there's a big difference between 4WD-LO and 4WD-HI. I've driven up and down some steep grades on sheet ice in 4WD-LO, w/o chains, studds or no-studded snow tires. It can be done, but you are on the fulcrum so to speak. Personally, I'd rather do what this person did, stay on the high ground and watch a heck-of-a-show, much more entertaining.

Along these lines, 4WD "will" get you in trouble if its over estimated. My guess, the same goes for AWD as well.

Another thing I find so humerours around here is, no matter what, it seems when the weather gets snowy or icy, everbody has to go to the darn grocery story. Simply amazing!

Jim

Archived