CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

16" or 17" Wheels

MAC

I'm about to upgrade to nicer OEM wheels and I was wondering if I should look for stock 16" or should I buy 17"? I think I remember someone mention that 17" will give a better ride. Is this true--or is it just a matter of preference whether to buy larger wheels than stock?

I'm about to upgrade to nicer OEM wheels and I was wondering if I should look for stock 16" or should I buy 17"? I think I remember someone mention that 17" will give a better ride. Is this true--or is it just a matter of preference whether to buy larger wheels than stock?

Not sure, MAC - I just upgraded to chrome OEM wheels myself but kept the 16" size. I also got some new Michelins along with them. They provide a very comfy ride.

That being said, I think they should have went to 17" on our style Eldo...JMO.

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->2007 DTS Performance - 50K

<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

As a matter of fact, I <i>am</i> driving 70 MPH in a phone booth.

Since thier OEM you shouldn't have to much trouble and its not much of a change in size, the biggest factor will be the tire you put on it.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

For a smooth ride, a 16" would do better than a 17" because the tire that would fit on the 16" would have more sidewall. If smoothness is your main goal, then you might think of going to a 15" wheel. It'll ride smoother than a 16" or 17".

IPB Image

In general, the 17" wheel will give sharper handling and response, due to the shorter sidewall, but it will also give a sharper ride, in the form of more road "feel" and impact harshness.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

The only suspension difference between my '04 and my '98 is wheel size. The '04 has 17" and the '98 has 16"; both have comparable Michelin rubber.

I can tell you for 100% certain, the '98 is better behaved in gusty crosswinds, the '04 provides more road surface feedback than I care for, and the braking response is better on the '98.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

MAC:

Here are some photos from today with my new 16" OEM chrome wheels (and new Michelins):

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Mark

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->2007 DTS Performance - 50K

Those look like either X Radials or Energy LX4s. I have the X Radials on my '97 and they're the best tires I've ever owned.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Those look like either X Radials or Energy LX4s. I have the X Radials on my '97 and they're the best tires I've ever owned.

Right on - they're the Energy LX4s. I found a shop that had these mounted, balanced, and front end aligned for a little under $550. Compared to the other chain and independent dealers I called it sounds like that was a steal. They are great tires (I decided on Michelin after reading the poll here).

As a general rule-the more tire sidewall hieght you have the more comfortable the ride will be. So with that in mind a 16" is a more comfortable ride than a 17". With that said, tires vary in sidewall stiffness. The stiffer the side wall the less the tire will "rollover" on the rim with side loads offering better grip & quicker "turn-in" would be. It would be possible stiff sidewall 16" tire on & have a much better handling ride compromising some comfort for that choice in tire. At the same time a flimsy walled 17" in tire may offer some comfort in the ride only to compromise side load performance of the tire. Before you buy a tire you should poke your finger in the side wall in the showroom to see how the stiffness compares to other model tires. You will find that the flimsey sidewall tires are less cost. IMO the stiffer the side wall the better for me.

I gotta say it, Mark ... that is one stunning ride!

The gold center caps, gold pinstripe, burgundy paint and dark

tint work very well together ... to these eyes, you have a slightly

modified classic American muscle car look ... very nicely done.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

MAC:

Here are some photos from today with my new 16" OEM chrome wheels (and new Michelins):

Mark

WOW! Those look nice! ;) I saw the same wheels on ebay but wasn't sure if they would look good on an Eldorado. You just answered my question. Nice Choice!

I just bought used wheels from a 97 Eldorado. They look to be in excellent condition and the rubber looks to be in pretty good shape---Maybe they'll give me 45K miles. I decided to stick with 16-inch because I'm more interested in comfort than performance. I like a quiet car and a smooth ride.

Thanks to all for the input--It's greatly appreciated.

I gotta say it, Mark ... that is one stunning ride!

The gold center caps, gold pinstripe, burgundy paint and dark

tint work very well together ... to these eyes, you have a slightly

modified classic American muscle car look ... very nicely done.

Thank you very much for the compliment, Ted!

WOW! Those look nice! ;) I saw the same wheels on ebay but wasn't sure if they would look good on an Eldorado. You just answered my question. Nice Choice!

Those look nice, Warren! I will admit, I had some cognitive dissonance for a few days not being too sure if the cross-model wheels would work looks-wise.

Archived