CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

EPA changing MPG standards for 2008

Bruce Nunnally

http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/7...33;OpenDocument

(Washington, D.C. - Dec. 11, 2006) To provide American consumers with improved information when shopping for cars and trucks, EPA is issuing new methods to determine the miles per gallon (MPG) estimates that appear on new vehicle window stickers. The new standards will take effect for model year 2008 vehicles, which may be available for sale as soon as next month.

"EPA's new fuel economy sticker ensures American motorists won't be stuck with higher than anticipated charges at the pump," said EPA Administrator Stephen L. Johnson. "Consumers can get more bang for their buck by considering fuel use while shopping for cars and trucks – saving money on refueling costs while helping protect our environment."

EPA's new methods bring MPG estimates closer to consumers' actual fuel use, by including factors such as high speeds, aggressive accelerations, air conditioning use and driving in cold temperatures. Model year 2008 vehicles will be the first to receive the new MPG estimates. Currently, EPA relies on data from two laboratory tests to determine the city and highway fuel economy estimates. The test methods for calculating these estimates were last revised in 1984.

To more clearly convey fuel economy information to consumers, EPA is also enhancing the design and content of the window sticker. The new label will allow consumers to make more informed decisions when comparing the fuel economy of new vehicles. EPA will continue to work with the auto industry, dealers, and other stakeholders, such as the American Automobile Association (AAA), to further educate drivers about all the changes included in the final rule.

In addition to better fuel economy estimates, for the first time, EPA will be requiring fuel economy labeling of medium-duty vehicles, which are between 8,500 and 10,000 lbs., including large sport-utility vehicles and vans. Manufacturers will be required to post fuel economy labels on these vehicles beginning with the 2011 model year.

New Label: http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/label.htm

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

this will make it harder to compare past vehicles with future vehicles. Not sure if I agree with it or not in that sense. Before it was a simple benchmark, the "best" the vehicle could ever do. You could then still compare makes and models to find the most fuel efficient. This kinda takes that away because you'll only be able to compare new model year vehicles.

I guess we'll use the DTS to translate the new MPG standard to our cars :)

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

This is a good thing.

The old methodology didn't relate to real-world driving.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

I must be in the minority, but I always meet or exceed the EPA measurements for the cars I've owned. Maybe I've just been lucky. It's sure not because I drive slow (ask my wife). The '97 SLS is rated for 17/26 and I routinely get 20/30. Our Grand Caravan is the closest vehicle I've had to NOT making the EPA ratings...sometimes I don't. It's rated 19/26, and we normally get 18-20 in town and anywhere from 24-26 on the road.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I must be in the minority, but I always meet or exceed the EPA measurements for the cars I've owned. Maybe I've just been lucky. It's sure not because I drive slow (ask my wife). The '97 SLS is rated for 17/26 and I routinely get 20/30. Our Grand Caravan is the closest vehicle I've had to NOT making the EPA ratings...sometimes I don't. It's rated 19/26, and we normally get 18-20 in town and anywhere from 24-26 on the road.

The only thing I can say is you drive everywhere downhill :)

I do have to admit, I routinely....well ok when I don't always go nuts with the throttle, can hit the EPA standards for this car easilly. So I guess cadillac didn't lie with the northstar :)

The Green's Machines

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

do have to admit, I routinely....well ok when I don't always go nuts with the throttle, can hit the EPA standards for this car easilly. So I guess cadillac didn't lie with the northstar

Cadillac had very little to do with the ratings that the engine recieved from the EPA. The engines were submitted and tested and these are the numbers that it was assigned.

I look at it differently. The Northstar is so well designed, so advanced, and so efficient, that it's real world performance more closely relates to the theoretical testing cycle that was used by the EPA. In other words, the low emmisions that this engine produces is an inherent function of its basic design, not something that can be achieved by adding power robbing external controls. From the design of the combustion chamber, the closeness of the top ring to the top of the piston, the elimination of the EGR valve, the cooling system design, all of this contributes to a clean engine. Caddy knew how to play the EPA game, designed an engine around those requirements, and the consumer benefitted from that approach.

Not that the design did not come with its own set of new problems. These problems also ended up benefitting the consumer by improving things like lubricants and fuels.

I'd hate to be the first one to admit it, but maybe EPA's government enforced system REALLY works when taken seriously by an American company!

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

• 2 months later...

New/old EPA MPG forecasts/estimates for new and older cars is available here:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp

for 1985 through 2007

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

by the 1998 Deville page (http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectEngine.jsp?year=1998&make=Cadillac&model=DeVille) the new numbers are pretty decent. I would say I fall close to that, except my all highway estimate would be a bit higher but it does look like the new numbers as a whole will be better.

The Green's Machines

Archived