CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

The Little Vine

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/gir...0Little%20Vine/

I while back I was eating a fruit cup and encountered a seed. Not thinking too much about it, I spit the seed into a pot next to my desk here in the office. The seed sprouted 2 days later. I transplanted it to its own pot and it's taken over the blinds on my office window.

He/she has since produced fruit after producing male and female flowers.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I while back I was eating a fruit cup and encountered a seed. Not thinking too much about it, I spit the seed into a pot next to my desk here in the office. The seed sprouted 2 days later. I transplanted it to its own pot and it's taken over the blinds on my office window.

:lol:

The stuff of Urban Legends to come, I'm sure!

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->2007 DTS Performance - 50K

<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

As a matter of fact, I <i>am</i> driving 70 MPH in a phone booth.

:lol:

The stuff of Urban Legends to come, I'm sure!

No urban legends, look at the pics!! :lol:

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Congratulations! Would that be a Cantalope by chance? Looks similiar to what we grew in our garden last year. Those things took over. We have 2 - 4' X 16' raised vegetable garden beds, and the vines grew out of one, across the 4' divide, into the other. We won't be planting those crazy things again. The yellow flowers look similiar to Zuccini/squash, but the fruit....definately not. My wife would know for sure...she's the gardener in the family.

Looked at the pics again, I'm leaning towards Cantalope.

You'll probably have to let it sprawl out on something flat, as the weight of those "babies" when they grow up will eventually pull down your blind. :o

I did, I just meant that someone could take this story and run with it :lol:

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->2007 DTS Performance - 50K

<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

As a matter of fact, I <i>am</i> driving 70 MPH in a phone booth.

Congratulations! Would that be a Cantalope by chance? Looks similiar to what we grew in our garden last year. Those things took over. We have 2 - 4' X 16' raised vegetable garden beds, and the vines grew out of one, across the 4' divide, into the other. We won't be planting those crazy things again. The yellow flowers look like Zuccini/squash though. My wife would know for sure...she's the gardener in the family.

Looked at the pics again, definately Cantalope.

I was surprised that the seed sprouted. Then it started to vine and I was even more surprised. Then the flowers starting coming up and I thought "wow!!" First it was only male flowers, they have the thin stems. About 2 weeks later, female flowers began to appear, they have larger petals and they have a "bulb" like bulge at the base of the flower which is actually the immature, unfertilized fruit. I took a feather and carefully removed pollen from the male flowers and transferred it to the females and I ended up with one piece of fruit growing. Sex in the garden!! :lol::lol:

I did, I just meant that someone could take this story and run with it :lol:

This story could run on it's own. This plant is drinking water like crazy. I'm refilling it 3 times a day and it's just sucking up all the water like crazy. She's a young vine and so she only produced two pieces of fruit, but only one is growing. Next time she flowers she'll be more mature and hopefully I can get more fruit out of her. It's also tough raising her indoors, in an office although I do have a southern exposure so she sees the sun all day long.

Do I give her Miracle Gro fertilizer or is there a special fertilizer for vines that produce fruit? Any farmers out there know?

Wow! Invasion of the Body Snatchers comes to mind. A fruit bearing plant is going to tax the soil heavily. And if eprice is right about it being a cantalope then it surely will. Miracle Gro spikes will make things easier as they last awhile. And periodic watering with Miracle Gro powder (for edible plants) ,once every 2 weeks, should keep it happy. Be careful not to over water even though you may be tempted to. Congratulations! lol

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I don't think there's any special fertilizer for cantalopes. My wife, "The Gardener" swears by Miracle Grow. She uses the powder mixed in a bucket of water for the garden. I imagine the spikes work as well. Btw, that Miracle Grow vegy garden soil is out of this world. We planted a couple tomatoe plants in pots and used that soil in one and it took off! The one that was not in the MG soil, was puny in comparison. Don't recommend potted tomatoe plants though, unless you use a huge pot and stay up with the watering...roots are too big and thirsty. A small Tommy Toe tomatoe plant would do ok in a pot though.

I just added another photo about 1 hour ago. I'm holding the fruit in my left hand. Darn thing is growing like crazy.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/gir...pg?t=1165519649

I think that might be a Lime-atoe. A little hard to tell though . . . . is it a male or female? j/k :)

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

• 1 month later...

An update on the little vine.

Well, as the cold set in, the vine died off. I cut off the one piece of fruit she produced and brought it home with me.

It was a small piece of fruit, about roughly the size of a baseball. Anyway, I left that fruit sitting on top of my refrigerator for about 1 week. I decided to cut it open and see what the heck I had managed to grow.

First off, it was not orange or yellow, so it was not a cantaloupe, but instead, a melon. SWEETEST melon you ever tasted too. It has a massive seed formation in the center but the little bit of meat that it had was very sweet.

I've taken the seeds to the office and planted them in the same pot and they are now starting to grow, so far looks like 5 of them are sprouting. I'll take pictures in a day or two when they get a bit taller. :lol:

Archived