CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

broken vacuum source nipple

seviller

My first post. The air diverter doors in the heater- a/c of my 91 Seville would not move to direct cold air to the dash vents, only hot air. Checked the vacuum lines and found a cracked nipple on the vacuum diaphram (don't know the correct name for this part, no service manual yet) I have the nipple and it appears to be made of bakelite. Is there any way to glue it on and what is this part called? Any help would be appreciated.

I would take it to the dealer and have them look it up on the spot. Don't be surprised to be charged $5-10 for the nipple. I had to replace a rubber nipple on my FPR and it was $7 and was only an inch and a half long. One end was bigger than the other and it was curved was why I didn't use regular vacuum line. Good Luck!

I would take it to the dealer and have them look it up on the spot. Don't be surprised to be charged $5-10 for the nipple. I had to replace a rubber nipple on my FPR and it was $7 and was only an inch and a half long. One end was bigger than the other and it was curved was why I didn't use regular vacuum line. Good Luck!

Sorry I didn't make my problem clearer. The nipple is broken off of a part that looks like a vacuum diaphram with eletrical connections on one end. Two vacuum lines come out of this device and a rod is attached on the diaphram side. I took it to NAPA and they thought it must be the cruise controller.

Boy. . .I'm not sure what that would be called. Can it be JB Welded or super glued you think?

Hopefully someone will chime in that's familiar with that part. If not, your local Caddy dealer parts counter can look it up. Once you find the name and part number, partszoneonline.com, gmotors.com and rockauto.com have good prices. Of course there's always your local salvage yard if it's pricey. I would try glueing it first...nothing to lose.

Boy. . .I'm not sure what that would be called. Can it be JB Welded or super glued you think?

Hopefully someone will chime in that's familiar with that part. If not, your local Caddy dealer parts counter can look it up. Once you find the name and part number, partszoneonline.com and rockauto.com have good prices. I would try glueing it first...nothing to lose.

Many thanks. I am trying to glue it now. Epoxy failed so I'm trying gorilla glue. I'll probably have to get a new or used one. Thanks for the tips.

[attachmentid=2927]It sounds like what NAPA told you it was. It controls the cruise control. One way to check it out is to see if your cruise control works with it the vacuum line unhooked. If it is what I think, it is a cruise control servo. NAPA has it for $104, dealers want $290 for it.

post-26-1164724307.jpg

My first post, long time reader. My problem seems to be common, hot air was blowing through the front dash vents, no cold air at all. Traced the problem to the air mix door (B440) or the actuator. Every time I jiggled the rod that connects the actuator to the air mix door it would come to life and work well for about 3 or 4 hours, then it would stick again. Took out the glove box and noticed the actuator was no longer working, also the rod just came loose. Now I want to check the vacuum supply to the door motor and I need the little plastic part on the end of the rod. How hard is it to remove the actuator, where would anyone suggest I get a new one (or used) and where can I find parts like the little plastic thingy? Also, what are the correct names for these parts? I don't have a service manual yet. Thanks for your help.

My first post, long time reader. My problem seems to be common, hot air was blowing through the front dash vents, no cold air at all. Traced the problem to the air mix door (B440) or the actuator. Every time I jiggled the rod that connects the actuator to the air mix door it would come to life and work well for about 3 or 4 hours, then it would stick again. Took out the glove box and noticed the actuator was no longer working, also the rod just came loose. Now I want to check the vacuum supply to the door motor and I need the little plastic part on the end of the rod. How hard is it to remove the actuator, where would anyone suggest I get a new one (or used) and where can I find parts like the little plastic thingy? Also, what are the correct names for these parts? I don't have a service manual yet. Thanks for your help.

Please see Paul T's post.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

First, check it out with a local dealer. Then try junkyards. You can make an improvised part as well. As far as I remember, the motor you referred to, is called "programmer", and it is electrical not vacuum operated.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

First, check it out with a local dealer. Then try junkyards. You can make an improvised part as well. As far as I remember, the motor you referred to, is called "programmer", and it is electrical not vacuum operated.

Thanks, adallak! I thought it had some vacuum component because a vacuum line comes through the firewall at about the programmer's position.

You guys have all been a great help. I tried gorilla glue and some kind of epoxy ( not J-B Weld) and they both failed, so I cleaned it real good and super glued it. It is holding so far. Thanks again.

You guys have all been a great help. I tried gorilla glue and some kind of epoxy ( not J-B Weld) and they both failed, so I cleaned it real good and super glued it. It is holding so far. Thanks again.

My last post was refering to a broken vac. nipple, not the mixer door problem.

Archived