CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Gas is everywhere!

bigjayzway

Well I got the new sending unit and replaced it yesterday(thanks Jason15036).

Only problem is, when we removed to ring from the top of the fuel pump we had to bend the tabs.

They were badly rusted, and could not get it to turn.

So after getting it off, and replacing the sending unit, it looked okay.

Well, went to the gas station, filled up and it started to pour out the top of the tank!

So back home I went, and removed EVERTHING again!

seated the seal again, and this time noticed it wont stay tight!

So I put some contact cement just on the tabs.

NOPE still leaking!

What or where did I go wrong?

I can't see just getting new tabs on the top of the gas tank?

No we didn't use the special tool to remove the ring, cause it was sooo rusty.

Can you get a new ring?

Big Jay :o

Life is too short to grow up!

If you are referring to the lock ring that retains the sending unit to the fuel tank, it is available as a service part and is inexpensive - I think it was less than $5 when I replaced it on my old Park Avenue.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

If you are referring to the lock ring that retains the sending unit to the fuel tank, it is available as a service part and is inexpensive - I think it was less than $5 when I replaced it on my old Park Avenue.

I called and ordered one today.

$9.00.

Not bad for a Canadian dealer.

It will be in tomorrow.

I will let you know if the problem is solved.

Big Jay

If you didn't replace the large o-ring that goes between the sending unit and the tank, it would be a good idea to replace that as well.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I recently had replaced my pump and sending unit 96 SLS, first time i filled tank to brim gas came rolling over tank and spilled on ground just in frount of drivers rear tire ,once car had used some gas up quite leaking. PULLED tank , the rubber gasket had kinked a little when installing , put new rubber gasket in and carefully put back in tank, NO MORE LEAK. NOt hard to fix , just have to pull tank again.

I recently had replaced my pump and sending unit 96 SLS, first time i filled tank to brim gas came rolling over tank and spilled on ground just in frount of drivers rear tire ,once car had used some gas up quite leaking. PULLED tank , the rubber gasket had kinked a little when installing , put new rubber gasket in and carefully put back in tank, NO MORE LEAK. NOt hard to fix , just have to pull tank again.

Well luckily I drive a 98 STS and all I have to do is remove the trunk plate to get at it.

Less than 3 min.

Big Jay ;)

Well luckily I drive a 98 STS and all I have to do is remove the trunk plate to get at it.

Less than 3 min.

Big Jay

Not including the time it takes me to squeeze my A$$ into the trunk for ya, :lol::lol::lol::lol:;)

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "darn...that was fun!"

www.madd.ca

Less than 3 min.

Big Jay

Not including the time it takes me to squeeze my A$$ into the trunk for ya, :lol::lol::lol::lol:;)

Okay 14 minutes then!

HOW TRUE THIS IS!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You know I will owe you forever on this one....LMAO!

Well one ring, and one seal, and she is all fixed now!

Big Jay

Thanks for letting us know that you fixed the problem glad you got it fixed..

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived