CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Wiper Tension Adjustment

Parker

I recently replaced the wiper blades on my 1997 Eldorado with Trico Innovision Beam blade wipers. They're supposed to be the latest and greatest blade design. They are frameless or bracketless, and present a very low profile and are said to be far superior to standare blades particularly in ice and snow. Well, they chatter like crazy. Drives me nuts. I've cleaned the windshield thoroughly, with window cleaners, amonia and razor, etc. The windshield is clean, of that I have no doubt.

I notice that the chatter only occurs on regular speed. If I set the wipers to high speed, there is no chatter. Silent. I suspect that if I adjust the tension on the arms, I might cure the problem. Since these blades are significantly lighter than the OEM blades, I think I need to lessen the tension that is exerted on the blades. Does that sound right? Is there a way to adjust the wiper arm tension on the 1997 Eldorado?

Thanks all.

I would try the Trico wiper arm that is sold with te blades first. If that doesn't do it, pitch the "upgrade."

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I had the same issue with my eldo. The chatter was SO bad that I would swap cars with anybody on a rainy day just to avoid hearing the chatter.

I went though a dozen pair of wipers, which fixed the problem for 10 minutes, only to start chattering again. I tried EVERY windshield treatment, including bon-ami.

Here's what fixed my chattering, permanently. I heavily lubricated all the moving parts of the wiper system, from the arms, the linkage, the motor, and especially the bolt/attachment assembly where the wiper arms are attached to the car (Try to really soak these, as there must be bearings or something under them.) Wipers are once again silent, silky smooth, and chatter free. I used a silcone spray, so it would penetrate the the seals. I sprayed down into the cowling, using the wand, to really saturate all the moving parts, joints, and cranks I could find.

My theory is that the bearings/joints/moving parts in the wiper system dry out, and create friction and tension, causing the wipers to get out of sync with each other and chatter. It's been a few months since I lubed everything up, and there's still not a hint of a chatter, even after driving for hours on the highway on the "low" setting, which used to the be the worst for chatter.

See if that helps - it worked for me! It's nice to be able to drive in the rain again without the dreaded chatter.

-Scott

Thanks for the tip Boston ETC97. Will try your suggestions. But how do you access the linkage? I think I can see it through the cowl screen, but not sure how effectively I can spray lube it this way. Is there easier access to the linkage?

Thanks,

Rich

I just sprayed carefully, but liberally, through the screen. With a flashlight I observed the cycle a few times, and figured out a rough idea of where to spray. Just turn off the vents so you don't get a car full of silicone vapor. The odor does make it into the cabin for a day or so, but it sorta reminds me of that 'new car smell', so I wasn't really bothered.

Make sure to also spray the crank arm on the far left side of the car, under the cowling. That's where the motor attaches to the linkage, and there are a few moving parts in that area.

You may even want to re-lube everything after a week or so, just to make sure it really works into the mechanisms.

Thanks for the tip Boston ETC97. Will try your suggestions. But how do you access the linkage? I think I can see it through the cowl screen, but not sure how effectively I can spray lube it this way. Is there easier access to the linkage?

Thanks,

Rich

Hey, thanks for the tip Boston! I have the same issue but blamed it on the wipers too.

MM

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->2007 DTS Performance - 50K

<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

As a matter of fact, I <i>am</i> driving 70 MPH in a phone booth.

Here's what fixed my chattering, permanently. I heavily lubricated all the moving parts of the wiper system, from the arms, the linkage, the motor, and especially the bolt/attachment assembly where the wiper arms are attached to the car (Try to really soak these, as there must be bearings or something under them.) Wipers are once again silent, silky smooth, and chatter free. I used a silcone spray, so it would penetrate the the seals. I sprayed down into the cowling, using the wand, to really saturate all the moving parts, joints, and cranks I could find.

-Scott

Don't get any on the windshield. It is near impossible to remove. Don't ask how I know. :rolleyes:

This problem drove me so crazy I was nearly ready to retire my car to either 'good weather use only' or get rid of it outright. I remember trying everything, from toothpaste on the windshield, razor-scraping the windshield, rubbing alcohol treatment, etc. It was embarrasing taking anybody with me on a rainy day. The chatter reminds me of nails on the chalkboard :angry:

I would constantly get new wipers, to the point I'd have a trunkful of blades, all used less than a month. I must have spent over $100 in blades alone. I finally was ready to order an entire new wiper arm/motor/linkage assembly, when I figured I'd give a complete cleaning and lube a try.

Sad to think a lubejob is all it took to fix a problem that bothered me for two years! :rolleyes:

Let me know how it works out for you.

-Scott

Well, we had light rain this morning and no chatter! Was hoping for heavier rain, but the forecast for New York is for rain on and off all week so we'll see. I'm confident we've licked the problem though.

I spray lubed all moving parts that I saw with Mobil 1 spray lube. Couldn't really get to the linkage though, but everything else that moved was sprayed. I also noticed that when the wiper motor was running, the motor shifted slightly against the firewall with the bovement of the wipers. I tightened the two exposed bolts one or two turns, but they were pretty darn tight to begin with. I was afraid of snapping the bolts, and for a minute I wondered if there was supposed to be a little bit of play designed in. That doesn't really make sense though, I 'm sure (sort of) the wiper motor should be firmly attached to the firewall with no play. I would have expected the bolts to have been loose though. They were very tight but I tightened them for another turn or two for good measure.

Anyway, the wipers didn't chatter this morning. Will keep you posted.

Thanks again!

Glad to hear it's better! The movement in the motor must be normal, since I have the same issue. Bolts are tight, but it still slides a to the sides as it runs.

It's been raining heavy over here, but I won't complain since around this time of year it could easily be snow <_<

Maybe I should move to Florida. Do they have cadillacs in Florida? :unsure:

Maybe I should move to Florida. Do they have cadillacs in Florida? :unsure:

HOLY CRAP, Boston!

Where better to find a Cadllac? Almost dime-a-dozen!

If you ever vacation there, bring your checkbook!

OR, go to Texas. A tad more costly. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived