CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bose Radio Question

Ranger

I have 7 CD's, 6 of which were copied by my daughter and one by a friend. All worked in my '97 Deville (non Bose). Now, only the one copied by my friend works in my '03 (Bose). The other 6 say "CD Initializing" then eject with a "CD error" message. :( Can anyone explain this?

They could be "MP3 CDs" which aren't writtin the same way, could be "open ended" which means you could add more songs at a later date BUT not all players can read them so a "closed" CD is usually what is made. It should however be the other way around, you'd think the 97 would be more out of date than the 03' player.

If they are clean than I'm not sure what would be the problem, in some cases, after several years, the CDs actually begin to degrade and lose their memory, thats why they have "archive" quality CDs and then you have cheap non-brand name, generic discs.

I'd try them on another player to make sure they are indeed OK, if they play it might be wise to have your daughter be nice and combine or re-burn some discs.

more on CD's losing memory here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_disc

"Recordable compact discs, CD-Rs, are injection molded with a "blank" data spiral. A photosensitive dye is then applied, and then the discs are metalized and lacquer coated. The write laser of the CD recorder changes the color of the dye to allow the read laser of a standard CD player to see the data as it would an injection molded compact disc. CD-R recordings are permanent. The resulting discs can be read by most CD-ROM drives and played in most audio CD players. Over time however (estimated to be about 5 years) the dye will fade causing read errors and data loss until the reading device cannot recover with error correction methods."

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

I just went back out and tried them again and damned if the first one I put in didn't work and sounded fine. Next one also worked. Third one did not. No codes, just "CD ERROR". Stuffed it back in several more times and it finally worked. Hard to believe that they are dirty as they rarely get used. Can I use windex to clean them?

I just went back out and tried them again and damned if the first one I put in didn't work and sounded fine. Next one also worked. Third one did not. No codes, just "CD ERROR". Stuffed it back in several more times and it finally worked. Hard to believe that htey are dirty as they rarely get used. Can I use windex to clean them?

They sell CD/DVD player cleaners that you put in the CD PLAYER to clean the laser lens pick-up inside the player. The CD's themselves may be ok. It certainly sounds like a dirty lens if it worked after trying it a few times. The CD player cleaner will look like a CD with little brushes on it. Walmart, Best Buy and Radio Shack will have these cleaners.

That sounds like the problem Larry, I have used the CD cleaners and they work pretty good. Let us know, Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Actually no. I discovered that the rear speakers seem to fade in and out when I have it in DSP (spacious) mode. A tech on the cadillacforums told me that it might be signal strength related, but that does not explaine the CD problem. She is going to the "doctor" tomorrow.

Just got back from the "doctor". Wouldn't you know it, the first CD we put in worked and made a liar out of me. Finally got it to error after a few tries. They said that there is a TSB about it regarding copied discs. Guess I'll have to get the cleaner disc and see if that help. Regarding the speaker fade, the advisor said that his car does the same thing and that is has to do with signal strength. Didn't do it when DSP was turned off. Guess it is the nature of the beast, though you'd expect better from a premium sound system. Oh well.

Archived