CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Labor Rates -> Engine update -> On the Road Again!!

chazglenn3

Finally got my car back today!!! It runs like a million bucks (as it should...almost cost that much :P ) The dealer and Custom Innovations came to an agreement on the cost of replacing the head. I had forgotton how much I love driving the STS! I haven't romped on it yet...I'm sure I need to wait at least a few hundred miles. I can highly recommend Custom Innovations if anyone ever has the need for a remanufactured Northstar. The work is excellent and the customer service also great.

Charles

Charles

Finally got my car back today!!! It runs like a million bucks (as it should...almost cost that much :P ) The dealer and Custom Innovations came to an agreement on the cost of replacing the head. I had forgotton how much I love driving the STS! I haven't romped on it yet...I'm sure I need to wait at least a few hundred miles. I can highly recommend Custom Innovations if anyone ever has the need for a remanufactured Northstar. The work is excellent and the customer service also great.

Charles

I'm not sure but I thought that breaking in a Northy was different..

Something about romping on it as you say,, to seat the somethings....

Don't do it until someone who knows for sure says so though :lol:

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

Im considering a powertrain swap in my 93 deville. Can anyone reccomend a good company to get my 4.9 and tranny from? What would the time be on the engine/tranny swap? And how can I find a reliable shop to do the work, like what questions should I ask? Im glad your northstar swap went well, What was the bottom line on it and how much time was spent in the shop?

Im considering a powertrain swap in my 93 deville. Can anyone reccomend a good company to get my 4.9 and tranny from? What would the time be on the engine/tranny swap? And how can I find a reliable shop to do the work, like what questions should I ask? Im glad your northstar swap went well, What was the bottom line on it and how much time was spent in the shop?

IMO, that would be cost prohibitive. Your repair costs would well exceed the value of the car. Unless there's sentimental value there, I would seriously reconsider that option. JMHO.

I agree. The bottom line on my engine swap was $6135, and that breaks down to $2695 for the remanufactured motor, and $3440 for the labor and parts. I'm sure I could have gotten the labor for less, but got screwed on that end. I bought the car with a good exterior and mint interior for $6000, so I felt I wasn't too far from the value of the car, unlike the '93 DeVille. A used '99 STS in the condition of my car (minus former drivetrain issues) here in the Seattle-Tacoma area sells for about $13,000.

Charles

Charles

RE: 4.9 ENGINE SWAP

You have to keep an old car a few years to make an engine swap a good idea from the dollars ans cents point of view, no question about it. However, the 4.9 rebuilt or remanufactured will be about $1.5K less than a Northstar because the heads and cams are cheaper to rebuild.

RE: RUN-IN AFTER HEAD SWAP

The break-in on the new head would be the cams and lifters. If they kept the same cams and kept the barely-used lifters in the same positions, 100 miles would be enough, otherwise I would keep it under half-redline for 100 miles, 2/3 redline for another 100, and not run it hard up to the rest of the 500 miles. I would change the oil and filter at 500 miles after the head replacement, just to be conservative about getting any metal dust or filings out of the system.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Thanks for the info, Jim. It wasn't just the head that was replaced...it is a complete remanufactured motor. Those still sound like good reference points, though. The builder said to "drive it normally" and change the oil at 1500 miles. I think I will be a bit more cautious and change the oil at 500 and 1000 miles and keep it below redline for at least 1000 miles...that sound okay?

Charles

Charles

When I have a rebuilt engine or one that I rebuild I like to get the oil and filter changed the first 50 to 100 mi. I then cut open the oil filter looking for metal shaving,flakes etc. After that I may change the oil and filter at 500 mi just to check the filter again after that if no sign of metal,flakes etc I just go to my normal oil change schedules every 3k or even sooner if I feel the oil looks dirty. I like to also seat the rings & I will take the eng to red line and do eng banking to seat everything in the eng. I do this rite after the eng rebuild I did that after mine was overhauled so far NO issues. I would not worry you can just drive it normal & you should be fine Everyone has their own method of doing things what ever works for you is the way to go.

Good Luck

Jim

I found this website that sells remanufactured engines http://remanufactured.com/Cadillac_Engines.htm. The only thing that concerns me is how to pick a reliable shop to do the work. Any tips on how to pick one? Also what the book time would be on the job so i know if the shop is trying to overcharge me. Thanks!

Archived