CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Anyone Here Ever Experienced An Airbag Deployment?

WarrenJ

Topic says it all . . . . this grew out of this thread: http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=11282

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

My Mom did a year or two back. She pulled out and was broadsided. Bag deployed. Threw her arms and hands into her face. Few bruises and scratches on her face. No serious injuries. If the bag did'nt deploy, no bruises or scratches.

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

Why yes I have.. In my 90.5 Allante...

Massive Bang... Lots of white powder... Smells like fireworks... blew my hands off of the wheel...

I wear my seat belt religiously (even in taxis)... and it did its job... The seat belt held me nice and tight... I remember the tip of my nose just barely touching the airbag...

I instantly changed my opinion on airbags... I when from someone who though they were critical to my thought at that instant which was "what a waste"...

That opinion was cemented by my claims adjuster who told me that I was the first person that she had seen that had been in an airbag deployment and WASN'T hurt in someway by the airbag...

She told me at the very least, most people she sees have facial cuts, broken arms, or broken thumbs... she told me I was VERY lucky!

BTW the last thing my beloved Allante said... "scrolling" across the display

"ACCIDENT DETECTED AIRBAG DEPLOYED"

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

i've been in three different accidents where the airbag deployed. the first time was an argument with a tree. i was in the back seat and was ejected through the rear glass. the two in the front were not injured and the air bags did not hurt them or do them any good. they were both wearing there seatbelts. the second time was a 98 s10 blazer rolling down a hill. the airbags didn't go off until the truck stopped rolling. the driver and I were both ejected so the airbags were not much help. (no seatbelts) The third time was a deer, i had a quarter sized bruise on my chest from the airbag, the driver. a 5' 1" tall 100 pound, if soaking wet woman was not injured at all.

my thought on airbags is that it all depends on the situation. airbags will save or take lives, you will never know until after the accident. i do believe that we should have the right to decide if the airbags can be shut off, and all cars should be easily switched back and forth, driver or passanger.

one day tech will improve until the car will truly know when to deploy an airbag and when not to but until then we need to be able to choose.

by the way. i've finally learned to wear a seatbelt :D

by the way. i've finally learned to wear a seatbelt :D

Congrats on that! :)

You've used up too many of your (presumed) 9 lives . . . . :lol:

Regards,

Warren

EDITED: to add "presumed."

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I've had 1 run in with the air bag, a 93 Toyota Previa. 55MPH into a broad side Chevy Lumina that was making an illegal u turn on a 2 lane hwy at night. I had a scuff on my nose and it broke my glasses. I believe that it saved me from more serious injury like eating the steering wheel. I had bruises on my chest and waist where the seat belt caught me. My knees were bruised where they hit the dash. My lower back was also injured but no neck or head injury. My car as well as the other were both totaled, the other car rolled and ended up on its side. Haven't any of you seen the slow motion video of what happens to you when you stop suddenly at high speed? Your body flies forward until the seat belt catches you and then your head snaps forward into the steering wheel or air bag. I'll take the air bag every time.

Small people should be very careful of how close they sit to the wheel and also should aim the wheel toward the chest area not the head.

Jeff

I as well have only had one run in with an air bag. It was back in 97, i was driving a 97 GMC sonoma, and was hit head on by a drunk lady travelling at 120 km/hr. My truck rolled a$$ over tea kettle about five times and ended up in the ditch on the passanger side, took em an hour and a half to cut me out with the jaws. Dont remember a whole lot about the accident, but i do remember the police telling me that if i wasnt wearing my seatbelt or the air bag didnt deploy, i probably would have been killed. I had first degree burns all over my face, they said it was from the powder in the airbag, thats about the only downside to airbags i can see.

Matt

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "darn...that was fun!"

www.madd.ca

Archived