CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Eldo repair info

jdave

:P Hello guys, I have a question about repair procedures on a Eldo. If anyone can help me with the front struts with 'CCR', O'Reily and Autozone both have a note that the electronic struts can be replaced with non- electronic struts if a procedure is followed. Is there a website that deals with that or can someone here that can help? I havent worked at a dealership in quite a while and any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dave

You can replace the active suspension struts with passive struts and fool the chassis comoputer with a resistor. That's what they mean by "proper procedures." Others here will help you with that.

You should consider what you are doing to your car by going to a passive suspension. The world-class ride with world-class handling are possible toghether thorugh the active struts. You will be in the high damping mode all the time with the passive struts, which means that the handling will be OK but the ride will be noticably stiffer. Some people like that; I think it's an illustion because it feels like a firmer suspension but it's not.

Your 1991 model year car won't have Stabilitrak. Cars that do have a stability control system (1997 model year and later) will not work properly with passive struts.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I put passive struts on my '95 and was generally pleased with them. I ordered the "Luxury Ride" struts and found them to ride only slightly harder than OEM struts. Very slightly.

Since I don't drive on a race course, handling is not my major concern. "Ride" *is*.

I got mine from Boston Suspension (not sure if they're still around). Another supppier is Arnott Industries.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I replaced the computer controlled struts on my 91 eldo with the passive struts and they work fine. I got them from NAPA and they are made by MONROE. I believe they were $129 a pair front and rear. I never experienced the computer ride because they were on their way out when I bought the car with 89,000 miles. I put the passive struts on at around 95,000 and I now have 120,000 miles and they're at the point where they need to be replaced again.There is a way to disable the Check CCR message that keeps coming up on the info screen after you've put the passive struts on....I haven't found it yet so I get the message every time I start the car and have to hit one of the buttons to get rid of the message.

PS Oh by the way. The computer controlled struts are not available anywhere for the 91 eldo. They where discontinued due to high price and the need for frequent repalcement from what I've heard.

I put Monroe's on all 4 corners on mine also. They're still good after 50k miles. On the rears, I bought the ones with air bladders that supports rear air leveling.

Just wondering, does the 91 Eldorado's have from the factory rear sway bars?

IPB Image

I replaced the computer controlled struts on my 91 eldo with the passive struts and they work fine. I got them from NAPA and they are made by MONROE. I believe they were $129 a pair front and rear. I never experienced the computer ride because they were on their way out when I bought the car with 89,000 miles. I put the passive struts on at around 95,000 and I now have 120,000 miles and they're at the point where they need to be replaced again.There is a way to disable the Check CCR message that keeps coming up on the info screen after you've put the passive struts on....I haven't found it yet so I get the message every time I start the car and have to hit one of the buttons to get rid of the message.

PS Oh by the way. The computer controlled struts are not available anywhere for the 91 eldo. They where discontinued due to high price and the need for frequent repalcement from what I've heard.

Hi, On a 91 Seville STS.

I'm still using the original struts but because one was giving errors, I found on the internet how to turn of a bit in the computer using the overrides. so now the program doesn't know the feature exists and it doesn't test them.

If I locate the info, I'll send it.

BTW, when you are doing the procedure, and you remove that bit, it helps to disconnect the battery for 30 seconds. Otherwise it remembers the old setting.

I put Monroe's on all 4 corners on mine also. They're still good after 50k miles. On the rears, I bought the ones with air bladders that supports rear air leveling.

Just wondering, does the 91 Eldorado's have from the factory rear sway bars?

They come with rear sway bars as a touring coupe option. Mine doesn't have them but I've heard they can be added if you can locate a warehouse that has them.

By the way, that's great milage on your replacement shocks "double what I got" and I drive it 80% highway driving.

I added the rear sway bar on mine when I replaced the struts. However, when I replaced the fuel pump last weekend, I removed it. It did restore the "Cadillac ride" but at the expense of handling and steering feel.

I also drive mostly freeway. The freeways where I live are not exactly very smooth either and I'm sure my hard 17" tires don't help. Mine are MONROE Sensatracs.

IPB Image

Archived