CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

96 sts keyless entry

Check for codes the RF codes are related to the security system. Try disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

It might help if you got the OBD II codes. Here's how:

http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

Questions:

1. What did you do to boost the car? I'm looking for a possiblity that the polarity was reversed (big spark) or that more than 12 volts was used to start the car.
  2. When you changed the battery, are you talking about the car battery or the fob battery?
  3. What do you mean by "do short range?"
As a quick check, you might change your fob battery.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

i changed the faub battery and i just put a good interstate battery in the car itself, no the polarity was not crossed, positive on that and the faub battery was changed cuase it didnt have a very long range away from the car so i changed the battery in the faub hoping it would improve and it did a little bit. were are the intena's for the key faubs found?

The antennas for receiving the fob signals are around the rear license plate. They aren't particularly directional and their range should be several yards with a very weak fob battery. If you stand behind the car and press the fob buttons while holding the fob at waist level and the car doesn't respond, then either the fob is dead, the car receiver and decoder is bad, or they programming that links them up is off.

BodybyFisher suggested that you disconnect your battery for a few minutes and re-connect it. This resets all the computers, including the body control computer that works with the fob receiver. That's probably a good thing to try first. While you're at it, you should try to get the codes and post them here. If there's anything wrong inside the car, the codes will tell the tale.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

I recently changed the FOB battery on my newly purchased '98 Eldorado. Operation was "flakey." Not having a battery tester at hand I simply decided to install a second new button cell.

The second time, however, I took note of some small print on the inside of the rear FOB cover. It asked me to press and hold both the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons for 7 seconds after replacing the battery. I did, and the horns/lights activated briefly. Normal operation was restored.

I have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE what the purpose of this operation is, but it worked for me.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

# P0101 - Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Performance

# P0603 - Control Module Long Term Memory Reset

# B1552 - Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error

# B1558 - BCM EPROM Checksum Error

# B2560 - RKE Message Validation Error

The P0101 is your cold air system; apparently it interferes with air flow over that sensor. P0603 and B1552 happen when you disconnect the battery, particularly within 5 minutes of running the car, and B1558 could be also due to disonnecting the battery.

B2560 means that the remote keyless entry (RKE, or fob) signal is being received, but has a validation error. I would suggest that you try WarrenJ's suggestion because that's proably what is wrong. If that doesn't work, we can tell you how to reprogram your car for your fob.

That's RF2560 not FR2560, that is the RF code I was talking about

This is out of the 98 manual, holding both buttons re-sync's the key fob

post-2998-1159920802.jpg

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I'm still uncertain about what the "Resynchronize" procedure is all about.

I'd guess it has something to do with the "rolling codes?" Nu?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Apparently. I've seen the same advice in Genie manuals when you change the batteries in a hand unit. It just takes a few seconds to try. Let us know if it works for you.

Regarding that "Rolling Code" thing, see the attached.

Regards,

Warren

post-416-1159930560_thumb.jpg

Posted Image

. . . . thanks for all your help guys deffinatly going to donate now

NOW you're talking! :)

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Archived