CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Can you us ethanol in 2006 DTS non performance

dotbowels

Yes, and depending on where you live you probably already have been using ethanol in your car. In the West part of the US and Canada ALL gas has been ethanol "enchanted" (mostly in the winter months) for years now.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Check your owners manual. I'm sure it will say to use regular, in spite of what the salesman said. It should also say that it has been designed to run on up to 15% ethanol I believe.

Is anyone successfully using 89 ethanol in an 06 DTS non-performance engine ? I've been using 87 regular even though they recommend 91 premium my salesman said. Thanks

I am in Fort Worth Texas ... all gas here is 10 percent ethanol. I don't like it but have no choice. I DO NOT run regular in my '06 DTS. I tried it 2 times. I get a noticeable difference in the way it runs. I ONLY use premium in it. But that is just my preference. The Owners Manual says you can use regular but there will be a power loss if you do.

Posted Image

Is anyone successfully using 89 ethanol in an 06 DTS non-performance engine ? I've been using 87 regular even though they recommend 91 premium my salesman said. Thanks

I am in Fort Worth Texas ... all gas here is 10 percent ethanol. I don't like it but have no choice. I DO NOT run regular in my '06 DTS. I tried it 2 times. I get a noticeable difference in the way it runs. I ONLY use premium in it. But that is just my preference. The Owners Manual says you can use regular but there will be a power loss if you do.

I am not sure what percent the ethanol is in 89 Ethanol blend at the pums I use but I'll check next time. I'm probably best off continuing to use the 87 regular unleaded i've been using.

All gasoline sold in the United States has some ethanol content. And none at any retail location (that I know of) will exceed 10%, except when branded as such (like E70 or E85). All vehicles are safe to burn 10% ethanol.

Locally, we have a gas station which specifically sells E10 (10% ethanol) at 93 octane. I'd love to try it, but the station is 35 miles away, unfortunately.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

"enchanted" (mostly in the winter months) for years now.

I think you meant "enhanced" didn't you :)

Anyway, you mostly see it pop up in some places after the summer RVP season is over, due to a little EPA technicality called "True Vapor Pressure".

In some parts of the country, plain old conventional (non-ethanol enhanced) gasoline is still available. I can think of two nearby, southwest Ohio and Canton/Akron, as well as most of West Virginia.

10% ethanol will generally add about 3 Octane numbers to the base fuel, so 87 becomes 90 octane, etc. Places that sell ethanol blended 87 USUALLY start out with a base gasoline of 84 octane. The three places mentioned above do not have an abundance of 84 available, so guess what....octane bonus!

Jason, your 10% ethanol 93 can be made from mostly 87, a little 93, and a nice helping of corn whiskey! Where do you live again? I hate it when you can't see the poster's details when replying.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived