CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Chrome Wheel Exchange

davedog

I like the wheels on my new caddy, but miss the look of chrome. This guy sends you wheels the same style as yours only chromed (triple plated), and then you send you old wheels back. Do you guys think they would hold up? Or is this a scam. He seems to have good feedback.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FACTORY-CAD...sspagenameZWDVW

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Most large Cities in the US and Canada have firms who will do this service for you. Where I live in Canada, I believe the going rate to re-plate an Aluminum Wheel is about $150CAN a corner. Almost exactly the same price after you factor in shipping.

Search the archives, you will find that Plated Aluminum Wheels do not last all that long... Depending on where you live and how much you baby them expect 5-8 years before the chrome starts to peel and leak.

All Plated Aluminum wheels do this...regardless of the manufacturer or the process....

Aluminum is just not a great base metal for plating.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Perhaps this is the reason Chrysler puts "chrome clad" wheels on their vehicles. Some consider it "cheap". But I think it's smart. It's actually an incredibly close-fitting plastic "cap" on the wheel. It follows the contour exactly, and unless you get in with your fingers and "feel" the backing of the chrome, you can't tell it's a cap. I like it for two reasons. One, you don't get the chipping/peeling phenomenon. Second, it's almost like a built-in curb rash protector. If anything happens to the wheel, like a scratch or whatever, you can replace the cap separately.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

One thing to be aware of if you have O.E.M. alloy wheels with aftermarket chrome plating is that chrome O.E.M. caps may not fit them. The face and clip diameters may be the same but the detail where the cap meets the wheel can different enough that the O.E.M. cap may not snap on without some modification. I ran into this with my Deville. See the following thread for more information on this issue:

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...;hl=center+caps

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Many of us (including myself) have the factory Cadillac chromed aluminum wheels and they don't peel. It would seem that whatever the GM wheel vendor does could be done by aftermarket chroming people. Ask them about a 10-year guarantee or something before you go for it.

The center cap issue is interesting. New center caps can be expensive too. If you research it (just ask your local dealer's parts man (or just call the DeSimone Cadillac parts counter -- see sponsor link on the main page of this forum), ask your aftermarket chrome plating vendor if he chromes the center caps too. If not, you might consider chroming the inside of the cap and going with chrome lug caps and no center cap.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

eh sound too risky, I'll probably just do what I did on the eldorado and keep my eyes open for some OEM wheels. They are just so darn expensive for the 18 inch OEM chrome wheels! I must have gotten a deal on the eldo wheels (think I paid $800 for the set of 4 wheels, center caps, valve stems, brand new). Of course those where only 16in but still. I'll keep my eye on good ol' cardio-docs autions. Thanks for the input guys!

I have a bunch of gys I know who did this with a guy in LA. He would take your rims and give you the chrome which were someone elses who senthem to be chromed. Then yours would be used for chroming and when someone else wants the same thing he has them. Actually a very clever way of recycling these ole steel rims that look so much better in chrome. Not to mention chrome plating is pretty much a science. Find out how long hes been in business and you'll know if its worth it or not.

Actually a very clever way of recycling these ole steel rims that look so much better in chrome. Not to mention chrome plating is pretty much a science.

1) These are alloy wheels, not steel.

2) Although chrome plating has been around for a while, that doesn't mean that it's all the same. That's like comparing a Cadillac paint job with that from Maaco. They might look similar up front, but over the long haul, one of them is going to last so much better.

I know they are alloy but wasn't thinking when I typed it. True all chroming isn't the same but my buddy has had about 8 sets of rims on his different cars over the years done this way and winds up saving a bundle and you can not tell from factory. Now whether it would hold up over time I don't know he trades in cars every year or so and takes the chrome off for winter.

Many of us (including myself) have the factory Cadillac chromed aluminum wheels and they don't peel. It would seem that whatever the GM wheel vendor does could be done by aftermarket chroming people. Ask them about a 10-year guarantee or something before you go for it.

I would put you in the "very lucky" camp...

Every guy I know with a 4 year old or older car with Chrome plated aluminum wheels has a "slow" leak in at least one of the four. Caddies, Audi's, MB, BMW, Lexus, Acura, etc... OEM or Aftermarket it doesn't matter, they all do it.

Usually the front two are the first to go... And while wheels still look great, The chrome will start to "delaminate" from the aluminum where the tire mounts to the rim... The tires will start to leak though the bubbling. My tire guy tells me "They all do this"... This almost always occurs in the first 5 years of use. Careful (and constant) cleaning and waxing will delay the chrome pealing off of the "front" of the wheel, but eventually it will go. Filling the tires with Nitrogen or Argon will also DELAY this... but not indefinitely.

If you like the look, go for it, just remember this isn't a "forever" thing... But then again, even the best paint job doesn't last forever :lol::lol:

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

While ALL chrome wheels are susceptible to leaking due to flaking at the bead eventually, aftermarket-plated wheels are more notably so. ALL chrome wheels will flake at the bead eventually because condensation becomes trapped inside the mounted mounted wheel. Occurs when people use gas-station air fill-ups or other systems without condensation traps or systems to remove condensation from the air line. Not that big a deal if you keep an eye on it. Even if your wheel is flaking at the bead after a few years, most tire shops can file/sand it down and you won't see that area anyway when the tire is mounted.

The issue with aftermarket-plated wheels, is that they flake much more readilly on the FACE of the wheel which IS an issue. I've seen this occur on wheels that were less than a year old!! And chrome-plating is most definitely a science, with a very wide array of quality out there. Even the best platers don't offer more than 24 or maybe 36 months of warranty, and that's because that in many parts of the country their plating will begin to come apart them. There is nothing like OEM/Factory-chrome. Period.

That said, I understand your plight because there were no factory-chrome options for the SRX (up until this year's expensive options which I'm only vaguely familiar with). I recently had a set of chrome 18" Vogue wheels for SRX with quality issues in the chroming, that still sold fast and expensive.

Wish I could be of more help. My only ethical recommendations if you plan on keeping the vehicle 3 years or longer are the rare 2007 chrome wheels (assuming you could find them for a reasonable price - or step up and buy them new) or high-quality chrome aftermarket wheels.

good luck,

~Doc

While ALL chrome wheels are susceptible to leaking due to flaking at the bead eventually, aftermarket-plated wheels are more notably so. ALL chrome wheels will flake at the bead eventually because condensation becomes trapped inside the mounted mounted wheel. Occurs when people use gas-station air fill-ups or other systems without condensation traps or systems to remove condensation from the air line. Not that big a deal if you keep an eye on it. Even if your wheel is flaking at the bead after a few years, most tire shops can file/sand it down and you won't see that area anyway when the tire is mounted.

The issue with aftermarket-plated wheels, is that they flake much more readilly on the FACE of the wheel which IS an issue. I've seen this occur on wheels that were less than a year old!! And chrome-plating is most definitely a science, with a very wide array of quality out there. Even the best platers don't offer more than 24 or maybe 36 months of warranty, and that's because that in many parts of the country their plating will begin to come apart them. There is nothing like OEM/Factory-chrome. Period.

That said, I understand your plight because there were no factory-chrome options for the SRX (up until this year's expensive options which I'm only vaguely familiar with). I recently had a set of chrome 18" Vogue wheels for SRX with quality issues in the chroming, that still sold fast and expensive.

Wish I could be of more help. My only ethical recommendations if you plan on keeping the vehicle 3 years or longer are the rare 2007 chrome wheels (assuming you could find them for a reasonable price - or step up and buy them new) or high-quality chrome aftermarket wheels.

good luck,

~Doc

Thanks for the info Doc! So that's why I've had such a hard time finding any oem chrome SRX wheels. I really prefer OEM to aftermarket, so I'll keep watching your auctions. As long as they are OEM cadillac wheels that it fine, they don't have to be from an SRX. So you ever get any 18 inch oem cadillac wheels that would fit an SRX from a different cadillac? Is the bolt pattern from the SRX the same as most of the other cadillacs?

-dave B)

I would put you in the "very lucky" camp...

Every guy I know with a 4 year old or older car with Chrome plated aluminum wheels has a "slow" leak in at least one of the four. Caddies, Audi's, MB, BMW, Lexus, Acura, etc... OEM or Aftermarket it doesn't matter, they all do it.

The wheels on my '97 are still solid as a rock ('97 was a good year, eh Jim? ;) ). The only inflation adjustments I have to make on the tires are temperature-related (pressure falls when air cools, and raises when it warms, etc).

Interestingly, the guys with chrome wheels on Chrysler minivans seem to have more problems with this than guys with Cadillacs. I surmised in a different thread that that may be why Chrysler has gone to "chrome clad" wheels, which have a chromed-plastic face rather than the actual wheel being chromed. Eliminates this problem and most people don't even know the difference.

The chromed wheels on my '94 Eldorado had slow leaks in 2 wheels after 10 years of service. The problem was solved by demounting the tires, wire brushing the beads (there was quite a bit of scaly looking corrosion), and remounting the tires. This cost me $20 per wheel. I can't say how long the repair lasted because I sold the car about a year later. In the future, I will have the beads inspected (and cleaned if necessary) every time I get new tires.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

cardio, if you are still following this thread, would these work on my srx? Would my tire pressure monitors transfer over OK. They sure are pretty wheels!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Four-2007-C...sspagenameZWDVW

No, they fit the standard 6x5.5" lug set. Your SRX has 5 lugs.

well, now I'm confused, unless I don't understand how this works all the factory SRX wheels I look at have 6 holes one them! :huh:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ONE-17-CADI...039848444QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SET-OF-4-20...032207999QQrdZ1

• 1 month later...

Sorry I'm checking in now for the first time but it's been crazy busy with work.

GM full-sized truck/SUV wheels (such as Escalade) do not fit SRX. It is a different 6-lug pattern. Furthermore, GMC Envoy and Chevy TrailBlazer, while also a smaller 6-lug bolt pattern than the aforementioned - ALSO won't fit SRX! SRX 6-lug bolt pattern is only common with....CTS-V (and probably STS-V).

happy Thanksgiving,

~Doc

No, they fit the standard 6x5.5" lug set. Your SRX has 5 lugs.

well, now I'm confused, unless I don't understand how this works all the factory SRX wheels I look at have 6 holes one them! :huh:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ONE-17-CADI...039848444QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SET-OF-4-20...032207999QQrdZ1

Archived