CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Trumpet Horns

WarrenJ

My '83 Coupe D'Elegance had horns that might have frightened a FreightLiner. I'm guessing those were the "Trumpet" horns I keep hearing about.

Well, my newly acquired '98 Eldorado seems to suffer from one anemic horn. It was fine when I bought it, but it's slowly dying. I'm guessing the dealer cranked the horn current on the bad one to "get by."

Of course, I'll replace both, BUT . . . . if I'm gonna replace two, why not install four?

Doable?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

It is doable - you will need to fabricate the mounting of the additional two horns and tap into the horn wiring. I added the Trumpet horns to both of my Sevilles. The notes are A, C, D, & F. The note letter is molded into the horn and is circled - usually by the horn outlet.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

It is doable - you will need to fabricate the mounting of the additional two horns and tap into the horn wiring. I added the Trumpet horns to both of my Sevilles. The notes are A, C, D, & F. The note letter is molded into the horn and is circled - usually by the horn outlet.

Currently, I'm not able to "do my own work." Hopefully, that will change in the near future.

For now, I need to present the horns to an auto mechanic and say, "here, do it!"

EDIT: If the physical mounts and wiring are not already in place, it's a no-go for me right now.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I just had this done on my 1997 Eldorado last month. If I'm not mistaken, the dealer ordered two horns for a 1982 Fleetwood (C & D notes maybe) to add to the A & F note horns which were installed on my Eldorado at the factory. This Cadillac really has a voice now. You can actually "feel" the horns when blasting them. This is how I remember Cadillacs sounding like when I was a kid.

Does anyone know for certain which note horns the 1997 Eldorado is equipped with from the factory?

This is how I remember Cadillacs sounding like when I was a kid.

Giving away your age there . . . .

:D:D:D

Posted Image

Currently, I'm not able to "do my own work." Hopefully, that will change in the near future.

For now, I need to present the horns to an auto mechanic and say, "here, do it!"

EDIT: If the physical mounts and wiring are not already in place, it's a no-go for me right now.

Regards,

Warren

The mounts and wiring are not there on the Eldorado and Seville. The DeVille has the mounts and wiring because it came from the factory with 4 horns through the 1999 model year. If you are buying new horns, order the 2-wire horns. If you're going to the junkyard, you will probably only be able to find single wire horns.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The mounts and wiring are not there on the Eldorado and Seville. The DeVille has the mounts and wiring because it came from the factory with 4 horns through the 1999 model year. If you are buying new horns, order the 2-wire horns. If you're going to the junkyard, you will probably only be able to find single wire horns.

Good info! That's what I needed to know.

Thanks,

Warren

Posted Image

I've got to hear what these sound like, my 98 would love to have a horn "upgrade" especially for victory celebrations after a Bills or Sabres big win :)

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Your '98 Deville should have the 4-note Trumpet Horn already unless someone disconnected some of the horns.

In case anyone wonders where the "Trumpet Horn" name originated, it was from the 1950's - there were three horns - two were of the standard type and the third was the high pitched note and that horn was in the shape of a small trumpet - hence the name "Trumpet Horn". By the late '60s, the same sound was attainable with four regular style horns instead of the special third horn.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

how about that, I knew it was loud but didn't know exactly what you guys were talking about. That would probibly be why the horn does sound unique.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

• 1 year later...

Some shmuck cut me off today in a hurry to get nowhere, so naturally I hit the horn(s). It was so pimpy that I was unembarrassed. He must have thought he cut off a Honda. I GOTTA find those "C" & "D" notes (or buy some aftermarket horns).

Archived