CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Simple trunk alarm...

The Fred

I need to have a trunk alarm since I will be carrying expensive merchandise and storing it in my automobile soon.

What is the best way to make a good inexpensive trunk alarm?

I was thinking a simple little switch, a siren, a backup battery and a remote control thing.

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

I need to have a trunk alarm since I will be carrying expensive merchandise and storing it in my automobile soon.

I was thinking a simple little switch, a siren, a backup battery and a remote control thing.

If you will be carrying expensive merchandise in your trunk, you will need special insurance for the contents and you will most likely need a special type of locking mechanism for the trunk, not just an alarm that no one will pay attention to. The insurance company can give you details as to the type of lock you will need for that trunk.

Jeweler's Mutual Insurance Company recommends Babaco Alarms and locks for jewelers who carry their jewelry line in the trunk of their cars. http://www.babaco.com/

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

The later model Cadillacs have a trunk alarm built into the security system. I don't know if they did in the 1990 model year but I would check. If so, someone popping the trunk without a key or the fob after the car was locked either with the electric door locks or the fob will set off an instant alarm. If you have OnStar, the car will call the cops and tell them where it is, and what is up -- i.e., the trunk lid. This is one of the reasons I bought a Cadillac instead of a Corvette.

If your car does indeed have part or all of this, the switch and the alarm will already be there and you can save a lot of money with a simple add-on such as a cellular alert.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

If you will be carrying expensive merchandise in your trunk, you will need special insurance for the contents and you will most likely need a special type of locking mechanism for the trunk, not just an alarm that no one will pay attention to. The insurance company can give you details as to the type of lock you will need for that trunk.

Jeweler's Mutual Insurance Company recommends Babaco Alarms and locks for jewelers who carry their jewelry line in the trunk of their cars. http://www.babaco.com/

The budget is $50 :lol:

I don't leave my car anywhere I couldn't hear the alarm so it will be fine

Special insurance, I have that, extra shells for the .357 :lol:

The later model Cadillacs have a trunk alarm built into the security system. I don't know if they did in the 1990 model year but I would check. If so, someone popping the trunk without a key or the fob after the car was locked either with the electric door locks or the fob will set off an instant alarm. If you have OnStar, the car will call the cops and tell them where it is, and what is up -- i.e., the trunk lid. This is one of the reasons I bought a Cadillac instead of a Corvette.

If your car does indeed have part or all of this, the switch and the alarm will already be there and you can save a lot of money with a simple add-on such as a cellular alert.

Seems like some of my 90-91s had alarms some didn't

I remember leaving the window open just far enough for an arm to get in - leaving the doors unlocked with the alarm set. I aint fond of factory alarms since crooks, good crooks, know those too well.

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

Nice info Marika.

Also a nice article here with travel hints for carrying valuables:

http://www.jewelersmutual.com/commercial/s...gTravelLoss.htm

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Could I use a small lawnmower battery for the backup?

Are diodes what I need to keep the juice from going from that battery back up into other things? I want it to be charged but I don't want anything but the alarm being able to draw on it.

See if the battery is in the trunk you couldn't disable it without getting in the trunk and I'd use wires light enough that it couldn't be short circuited to death through those wires or better yet fuses

One problem, how easy is it to gain access to the trunk from the back seat?

Someone could always haul the whole car away I suppose too

MerryChristmas

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

Nice info Marika.

Also a nice article here with travel hints for carrying valuables:

http://www.jewelersmutual.com/commercial/s...gTravelLoss.htm

That's them Bruce, Jewelers Mutual. I worked in the jewelry industry years ago so I know a little about these things. :)

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Archived