CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I may be crazy.. 94STS to Texas pulling...

The Fred

Well the 94 STS still isn't running right.

So I had a good idea- a lady I know needs to take some things to Texas and they are trying to get $1300 out of the poor kid in order for her to be allowed to use a truck. $.69 per mile.

Well I can borrow a trailer and I have an adjustable hitch I can hook up onto the car I guess and suppose- I don't know much about unibody frames.

Any way I figure if we make it to TX heck the long drive will be good for the car.

And if we don't make it I'll finally have a good reason to fire at the car and put fifteen slugs in its head but then if it really is not the cars fault and it was the bad gasoline well I couldn't live with that ;)

Anyway the trip would be a real fine way to get a few tanks of good Conoco gasoline through the car.

(850 miles each way at 80MPH and I only stop when I run out of gas I use to drive the highway just all darned night long)

(I love it. I use to drive alot faster though.)

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

Fred, this thread is like watching a train wreck coming in slow motion. Things that don't make sense:

1. Taking a car that won't travel higway speed without possible engine damage on a road trip.
  2. Putting a trailer hitch on an STS and hauling 1300 pounds, which is over the limit stated in the owner's manual. Taking an STS with a 1300 pound trailer load on a road trip is just about guaranteed to cook the transmission.
  3. Stressing an engine with fuel system problems with a trailer load on a road trip is just about guaranteed to over-lean the engine and damage it. Think hole-in-the-piston.
Get a $500 beater pickup truck to tow the trailer. It will have a better chance of getting there than a crippled STS. She can keep the pickup truck and this will cost far less than you would lose on parking the car in a cornfield, and you won't have some county in Oaklahoma hauling off the trailer for scrap.

If you're not comfortable waiting for the water in the gas to work itself out, take the car to a good mechanic that is comfortable with Northstars and OBD II. They are a lot more common than you think. Check the local Goodyear Service Center or other reputable outfit for Caddys in the customer lot, for example. Ask to talk to the mechanic who would work on your car and you will be able to tell instantly whether he is the right guy, with your background. You will be out a lot less money and time than continuing to hack at it yourself. And, be prepared for him to tell you to put a tank of gas through it at 30 mph.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

So I had a good idea- a lady I know needs to take some things to Texas and they are trying to get $1300 out of the poor kid in order for her to be allowed to use a truck. $.69 per mile.

Well I can borrow a trailer and I have an adjustable hitch I can hook up onto the car I guess and suppose- I don't know much about unibody frames.

Any way I figure if we make it to TX heck the long drive will be good for the car.

And if we don't make it I'll finally have a good reason to fire at the car and put fifteen slugs in its head but then if it really is not the cars fault and it was the bad gasoline well I couldn't live with that ;)

Anyway the trip would be a real fine way to get a few tanks of good Conoco gasoline through the car.

(850 miles each way at 80MPH and I only stop when I run out of gas I use to drive the highway just all darned night long)

If you did that to your car I would put 15 slugs in you. Tell you what ship the car to NY and ill give you 1k for it

If you did that to your car I would put 15 slugs in you. Tell you what ship the car to NY and ill give you 1k for it

Put 15 slugs in me and I will haunt your ***

I would even find some gay angels and pay them to haunt you and unless you're funny that way you would NOT be happy come evening time :lol:

Fred, this thread is like watching a train wreck coming in slow motion. Things that don't make sense:

1. Taking a car that won't travel higway speed without possible engine damage on a road trip.
  2. Putting a trailer hitch on an STS and hauling 1300 pounds, which is over the limit stated in the owner's manual. Taking an STS with a 1300 pound trailer load on a road trip is just about guaranteed to cook the transmission.
  3. Stressing an engine with fuel system problems with a trailer load on a road trip is just about guaranteed to over-lean the engine and damage it. Think hole-in-the-piston.
Get a $500 beater pickup truck to tow the trailer. It will have a better chance of getting there than a crippled STS. She can keep the pickup truck and this will cost far less than you would lose on parking the car in a cornfield, and you won't have some county in Oaklahoma hauling off the trailer for scrap.

If you're not comfortable waiting for the water in the gas to work itself out, take the car to a good mechanic that is comfortable with Northstars and OBD II. They are a lot more common than you think. Check the local Goodyear Service Center or other reputable outfit for Caddys in the customer lot, for example. Ask to talk to the mechanic who would work on your car and you will be able to tell instantly whether he is the right guy, with your background. You will be out a lot less money and time than continuing to hack at it yourself. And, be prepared for him to tell you to put a tank of gas through it at 30 mph.

Yea I told her today I can get ahold of a $400 chevy and haul everything but there won't be any a/c :lol:

I would get the car right before taking it on a road trip. What if it beaks down on the road with that ladies stuff in tow, then what??? You'd be up a creek!

I was thinking then I would put the car in a river

PS: 1300lbs?

The trailer is around 400 and the load would be around 400

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

PPS: I think this bright idea was my subconcious sying in the background up there in my mind;

Killl.... theee....... carrrr... kill the carrrrr..... Fredddd.... Kill killl killllllllllllll

MerryChristmas

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

Fred, try to organize the issues you are having with this car. Get the computer codes and post them here. You posts are all over the ball park..

Explain in DETAIL what is wrong with you car, post the codes, don't do anything without getting direction from the knowledgable people on this board, and lets GET HER DONE....

I am not convinced that you put the intake manifold back on right. You blew out the backfire flap, how did you put it back. How did the intake manifold gaskets look? Did the intake mating surfaces need cleaning up? How was the old intake manifold gasket, its reusable only if its not damaged. Are all the vacuum hoses replaced..

Explain your problems

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived