CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

92 Deville error code E39

confusion

Gentlemen, I need some advice here. A couple of days ago the service engine light came on my 92 Deville. It was on for about 1/2 hour, until my wife shut off the car. She told me about it yesterday and I checked the error codes. It showed E39. The service engine light has not been on since. This has got me worried because I know (thanks to help a few months ago from Body by Fischer on error codes) that this is a transmission code. The car has 92,000 miles, mostly highway. I've owned it since 50,000. The tranny fluid was changed at 50,000 when I bought it. I also pumped out about 1 gallon of fluid by diconnecting the fluid line under the radiator at 80,000, then filled it back up with fresh. I noticed the fluid was a bit dirtier than I like about a month ago and decided to do a more thourough job of changing the fluid. I have fresh fluid, but haven't changed it yet. It's still red, though, and not brown yet. Okay, what should I do here? 1) Does this code always mean something very serious? 2)Should changing the fluid help(even though it's not very dirty)? 3)Should I reset the code and see what happens? 4)Should I take the car to a transmission shop. 5)Should I immediately trade the car on a newer model before it has very costly problems? Thanks guys.

P039 (E039) ..... Torque Coverter Clutch/Viscous Converter Clutch Engagement Problem

There should be switch at the top of the brake pedal that disengages the TCC when the brake is applied. I think it also disengages the cruise control as well. Check it to be sure it is working.

First, do not panic. E039 is not uncommon. You most likely will not be able to get rid of it. But even so, you can safely drive the car for many years as many others do. Fuel efficiency will drop some 15% though since the tranny does not lock when it is supposed to. To check lock up function maintain constant speed of about 50MPH with your right foot on the gas pedal, watch RPM on the driver info center, tap the brake pedal with your left foot just to engage brake switch. At that point you should see RPM jumping up some 150-200 RPM. If that DOES NOT happen your transmission lock up mode is gone. I would live with that since fixing that problem will cost a lot and does not make sense. A tranny shop can easily screw up something else, charge you $1500-2000 and make your car undrivable.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

First, do not panic. E039 is not uncommon. You most likely will not be able to get rid of it. But even so, you can safely drive the car for many years as many others do. Fuel efficiency will drop some 15% though since the tranny does not lock when it is supposed to. To check lock up function maintain constant speed of about 50MPH with your right foot on the gas pedal, watch RPM on the driver info center, tap the brake pedal with your left foot just to engage brake switch. At that point you should see RPM jumping up some 150-200 RPM. If that DOES NOT happen your transmission lock up mode is gone. I would live with that since fixing that problem will cost a lot and does not make sense. A tranny shop can easily screw up something else, charge you $1500-2000 and make your car undrivable.

Adallak, how do i get my 92 into the mode that shows rpm?

On my car one should keep pressing Eng Data button on driver info center until it shows RPM. Yours may be different.

On my car one should keep pressing Eng Data button on driver info center until it shows RPM. Yours may be different.

I don't think I have an engine data button. I'll check.

That's right, the deville doesn't have the engine data button. However, there is a a way to get the display to show the rpm's but it takes a bit of navigation.

Make sure there that the wiring is alright as well as the switch on the brake pedal as already mentioned. If you have a service manual, it'll tell you how to check the wiring.

You can drive the car for many years with this code without any problems. Mine had the code when I bought it and 50k miles later, I'm still driving the car.

IPB Image

That's right, the deville doesn't have the engine data button. However, there is a a way to get the display to show the rpm's but it takes a bit of navigation.

Make sure there that the wiring is alright as well as the switch on the brake pedal as already mentioned. If you have a service manual, it'll tell you how to check the wiring.

You can drive the car for many years with this code without any problems. Mine had the code when I bought it and 50k miles later, I'm still driving the car.

Thanks for the encouragement, guys.... I got a bit stressed when I saw what the code was. I'll check the brake switch and try the rpm test, when I can.

Have you checked the fuses associated with the TCC. I had a short in a wire around the front passenger side frame behind the corner of the radiator. If you do not have blown fuses, go with the switch on the brake, it may just need adjusted. There are 2 switches and only the notches in the end of the plunger should be visible. If notch is not visible or the plunger is visible it needs adjusted. The TCC switch is on top and the stoplight and cruise switch is on the bottom.

I have a 93 deville with a digital gauge cluster, can I get it to display RPM's too? Details on how would be helful:-)

I do not know much about your model year, but one of ECM Data (diagnostics mode) should show RPM.

Archived