CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

"National Backorder"

davedog

I've been having a faint grinding/rubbing noise that comes from the rear of my 2005 SRX when I make slow, sharp turns. Only happens sometimes. Finally took it to the dealership, and took em for a ride. Service manager says "Oh we see this all the time on the SRXs and CTSs, it's your rear differential. So the tell me they'll have to order one, it'll be there in 3 days, drive my car meanwhile, and once it comes it it'll only take a day to get it put in. A few days later when I hadn't heard anything, I called and checked - turns out they had to call GM when it didn't show up and GM told them it is on "National Backorder" with no idea on when it will arrive! Did some research, turns out this has been happening to SRXs, and CTSs since 2004 or so. Why the heck do they still not have this part!

Sorry for venting. Just annoyed. Still LOVE this car. Just wish I could have a quieter rear end!

-dave B):unsure:

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Glad your car is not out of commission. A slight noise that happens sometimes when you make slow, sharp turns seems something that is workable until the dealer gets a replacement.

The rear differential is mady by Getrag. Although the final drive differs, the same differential is also used on the new kappa convertibles and of course on the CTS-V. The CTS-V guys regard the rear suspension / wheelhop and the differential as major problems. The kappa cars (Solstice/Sky) have had a run of problems with the rear differential leaking/venting.

On my 05 CTS I noted some fluid leaking from the vent of my differential back when I was studying the exhaust installation. The dealer checked and determined it was overfilled at the supplier, drained some fluid, and pronouced it good to go. Apparently the differentials can vent some fluid if they overheat.

The differential was significantly redesigned in 2006 to make it stronger. This did not solve the CTS-V issues, but it helped somewhat apparently.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Glad your car is not out of commission. A slight noise that happens sometimes when you make slow, sharp turns seems something that is workable until the dealer gets a replacement.

The rear differential is mady by Getrag. Although the final drive differs, the same differential is also used on the new kappa convertibles and of course on the CTS-V. The CTS-V guys regard the rear suspension / wheelhop and the differential as major problems. The kappa cars (Solstice/Sky) have had a run of problems with the rear differential leaking/venting.

On my 05 CTS I noted some fluid leaking from the vent of my differential back when I was studying the exhaust installation. The dealer checked and determined it was overfilled at the supplier, drained some fluid, and pronouced it good to go. Apparently the differentials can vent some fluid if they overheat.

The differential was significantly redesigned in 2006 to make it stronger. This did not solve the CTS-V issues, but it helped somewhat apparently.

Yeah it's very workable, don't get me wrong, mine's not half as bad as some of the horror stores I've read. Just annoying when you driving somebody somewhere, and they are like "what was that?!?" I'll hang in there and get over it. ;) They guy at the dealer said it was a $4000 part/parts. Guess that means they are gonna replace the whole deal, gald this happened under warranty. I also read alot of the noise issues were cause by an additiave that was supposed to be in the oil for the rear diff not being added. Don't know if that's true or not. Glad your issue on your CTS was easily fixed Bruce. Sharp Car, I might get one for my Wife at some point.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/index.php?category=1

Service Information Document ID# 1824733

2004 Cadillac CTS

Subject: Shudder or Bind On Low Speed Turns - keywords axle differential

groan growl moan noise rear slow vibration #PIP3152G -(05/03/2006)

Models: 2004-2006 Cadillac SRX, CTS, CTSV

2005-2006 Cadillac STS

2006 Pontiac Solstice

2007 Saturn Sky

Equipped with Limited Slip Differential (RPO -

G80)

This PI is being updated to include 2007 Saturn Sky and also update the Part number for the axle

fluid and include part number disclaimer. Please discard PIP3152F

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Service Information

Customer may comment of a shudder or bind from the rear of vehicle on low speed turns such as

parking lot maneuvers on vehicles equipped with G80 limited slip rear axle. This condition may be more noticeable with the vehicle at operating temperatures.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Drive the vehicle to warm the rear axle and then drain the axle fluid. Refill with just the 89021677 (in Canada, use 89021678) axle lube and drive the vehicle about 10 minutes performing mostly parking lot turning maneuvers. Drain the rear axle again and mix 1200 ml of 89021677 (in Canada, use 89021678) and 74-89 ml of 1052358 (Canadian P/N 992694) additive outside of the axle and then fill the rear axle with this mixture and re-evaluate.

Bruce

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/index.php?category=1

Service Information Document ID# 1824733

2004 Cadillac CTS

Subject: Shudder or Bind On Low Speed Turns - keywords axle differential

groan growl moan noise rear slow vibration #PIP3152G -(05/03/2006)

Models: 2004-2006 Cadillac SRX, CTS, CTSV

2005-2006 Cadillac STS

2006 Pontiac Solstice

2007 Saturn Sky

Equipped with Limited Slip Differential (RPO -

G80)

This PI is being updated to include 2007 Saturn Sky and also update the Part number for the axle

fluid and include part number disclaimer. Please discard PIP3152F

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Service Information

Customer may comment of a shudder or bind from the rear of vehicle on low speed turns such as

parking lot maneuvers on vehicles equipped with G80 limited slip rear axle. This condition may be more noticeable with the vehicle at operating temperatures.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Drive the vehicle to warm the rear axle and then drain the axle fluid. Refill with just the 89021677 (in Canada, use 89021678) axle lube and drive the vehicle about 10 minutes performing mostly parking lot turning maneuvers. Drain the rear axle again and mix 1200 ml of 89021677 (in Canada, use 89021678) and 74-89 ml of 1052358 (Canadian P/N 992694) additive outside of the axle and then fill the rear axle with this mixture and re-evaluate.

Hmm, good info, I'm printing it for my records. I wonder if that would fix my problem. Eh, If they wanna replace it, I guess I'll just let them do that...maybe I'll get one of the stronger 2006 rear diffs. Thanks again Bruce, you just seem to have a never-ending supply of info on my caddy! Thanks!

-dave B)

If they do replace it, be careful to use a 500-mile break in approach. There was another tech note that mentioned that perhaps this is important to the differential life. My impression is that they are not sure what the issues are yet.

Bruce

If they replace a limited-slip differential, they will likely tell you to use the new-car break-in procedure. If they don't, then my recommendation is to drive it like a loaded hearse for 100 miles, and don't hit it hard enough to invoke the limited-slip feature at full throttle until you have at least 500 miles on it.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived