CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Power steering too hard.

bigjayzway

Well it has been some time since I drove the 98 STS.

I usually drive the conversion van I got for the summer.

I took the STS out for a spin tonight, and noticed the steering is getting harder to turn, even at higher speeds.

I am not getting any noise, but the stiffness is definately there!

I also noticed a burning oil smell, and some smoking coming from under the hood.

I will have to look at that in the daylight.

My wife drives the car every day, and said it is just getting harder and harder to turn.

What should I look for?

Does this sound like a pump?

If you are at a dead stop, you need to rev the engine a bit to even think of turning the wheel.

If it is the pump, who has the special socket to get the old one off?

Please advise?

BIG JAY :(

Life is too short to grow up!

I also noticed a burning oil smell, and some smoking coming from under the hood.

I will have to look at that in the daylight.

My wife drives the car every day, and said it is just getting harder and harder to turn.

What should I look for?

Does this sound like a pump?

Burning oil smell plus smoke plus low fluid level = leaking hose. Have your wife turn the wheel while you have your head under the hood on the pump side and look for a hole in the pressure hose.

No custom tools needed for the PS pump. Water pump, yes.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

As stated, I would think a leaking power steering hose. I would suspect with the smoke and smell, that it is leaking near the exhaust. I would check the hoses behind the engine, as they enter the rack unit.

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

Lift the front of the car, start the engine and turn fast the steering wheel from stop to stop several times. This will put maximum pressure and the leaks will definitely show up. I suspect bad hose connections or rusted lines including return ones. Chek the connections/clamps by the PS radiator. How's the PS fluid?

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

The burning oil smell is definately oil.

The guy at the delta sonic lube center said I had an oil leak at the back of the engine, but didn't know where from.

The power steering was fairly hard when I got the car last year, but progressively getting worse.

Just wondered if there was a notorious spot for these to burn engine oil from?

Big Jay

Life is too short to grow up!

• 1 year later...

does a 2000 sts need a one bend or two bend at rack, power steering hose? i have a leak back near the exhaust. also if i replace this hose, is there a certain type of fluid to put back in? should i bleed the system and how hard is that?

Archived