CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Where's the Air Bag?

Poobah

I can't figure out where the passenger side air bag is on my 2000 Deville. There isn't a door in the dash to give a clue. My wife thinks it's in the glove compartment door (which has enough bulk to hold it) but I wouldn't think that would be a substantial enough place to mount it. Does anyone know for sure?

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

It's under the dash pad probably...or "inside" the dash pad and it rips open during deployment. Beginning in 1996, when they re-designed the Seville/Eldorado interior, the air bag "door" went away, and the dash pad was smooth straight across. The air bag is actually under the dash pad, and the pad will lift up during air bag deployment.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

As the ghuru once said, the design philosophy at GM is to sacrifice the car and protect the occupants.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

The dashboard is designed to lift up at the trailing edge, and the airbag comes out from there. The windshield is an intergral part of a passanger airbag. The airbag comes out, and when you hit it, it gets stopped by the windshield. That is why it is most important to replace cracked windshields in airbag equipped cars. If an airbag is deployed and the car has a cracked windshield, the force of you hitting the airbag, could make the airbag go through the weakened windshield. This will result in facial contact with the dashboard, which is what the airbag is there to prevent.

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

That is why it is most important to replace cracked windshields in airbag equipped cars...

Excellent point...

If I'm in a wreck bad enough to deploy the air bags, blowing my dash or windshield to bits is going to be the least of my worries.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

The windshied is used as a directional tool for the passenger airbag.

It is critical to some extent...to use OEM glass and sealer.

Here is a movie link.....requires 'quickplayer' to see...

http://www.micro-sys.com/airbag_anim.htm

Archived