CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Convertable?

movement

I want a Cadillac and I want a convertable.

I can't afford an XLR but I need 4 seats anyway...

What are my options?

Anybody got any history on convertible caddy's? When they stopped making them? Do people get 'em chopped normally now? Why did caddy stop making them? a convert CTS would be nice... bet that would pull more "young" market to caddy!

-Randy

The (incorrectly) 'last' of the convertibles were in 1976, and were 500 cubic inch (8.2L) Eldorado's. At that time in history, convertibles were fairly unpopular, and safety regulations seems to rule them out. Cadillac was the last American mfr making convertibles then, and stopped. res20030401mc00.jpg Info:

http://www.advanceautoparts.com/howtos_tip...S20030401MC.htm

After that the Allante 2-seater ran from 1989 through 1993, with either 1992 being preferred for better seats and appointments, or 1993 for the northstar engine/powertrain. The Allante was a premium car, with bodies made in Italy and flown overseas to the Cadillac plant.

93122271990002MED.jpg

Info: http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/re...dex.cfm/id/2338

There are some aftermarket versions of current cars done as convertibles, but normally require a healthy boost over retail prices, nearing 75k-90k new.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Cadillac revived the convertible in 1984 with the Eldorado Biarritz and angered the people who bought the "last convertible" in 1976. They sold 3300 units.

The (incorrectly) 'last' of the convertibles were in 1976, and were 500 cubic inch (8.2L) Eldorado's.

Those were beautiful cars,...I'd love to own one (the '76). Is it me, or is the Allante a "piece of crap". I remember a string of comments at the old "Caddyinfo.com" website talk'in about what a cool car the Allante was, and I almost had to gag !!!!

The Allante's have a fairly devoted following. It was counted as a failure by the media of the time, although Cadillac claimed that it met sales goals. As I recall, Cadillac guaranteed the resale value on them, and offerred special warranty coverage for several things.

Drivers report that many people don't know what it is, as they have never seen one. I see in the Allante look where the 92 Seville redesign came from. One of the Allante design engineers is the current head of the corvette program, so I'd say it was a good learning experience.

Bruce

FWIW:

At the Palm Beach Barret-Jackson auction tonight, a 1976 Eldo convertible with 46,000 miles went for $13,000.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

The Allante's have a fairly devoted following. It was counted as a failure by the media of the time, although Cadillac claimed that it met sales goals. As I recall, Cadillac guaranteed the resale value on them, and offerred special warranty coverage for several things.

Drivers report that many people don't know what it is, as they have never seen one. I see in the Allante look where the 92 Seville redesign came from. One of the Allante design engineers is the current head of the corvette program, so I'd say it was a good learning experience.

Bruce

Okay,...so you think they learned anything from it,..or are you just another "GM Cheerleader"...

One of the Allante design engineers is the current head of the corvette program, so I'd say it was a good learning experience.

Okay,...so you think they learned anything from it,..or are you just another "GM Cheerleader"...

My point was that Dave Hill 'graduated' from the Allante to also be the program manager for the Deville and Concours, and finally the Engineering Program Manager for all of Cadillac before he went on to manage the successful Corvette program.

I think his Cadillac history probably contributed to the XLR evolving off the Corvette chassis and being built in Bowling Green on the Corvette line. So if the Allante experience helped the XLR turn out as well as it has, I don't think you have to be a "GM Cheerleader" to recognize the improvements.

Bruce

Is it me, or is the Allante a "piece of crap". I remember a string of comments at the old "Caddyinfo.com" website talk'in about what a cool car the Allante was, and I almost had to gag !!!!

You know Willie, it might be you!

I'd bag a nice '93 Allante with the 4.6N* motor anytime. If a good one comes up, it might happen.

Shoo...I'd even give you a ride in it and drop you off at that rehab center you were reccomending... :lol:

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

I OWN A `93 ALLANTE, BOUGHT TWO YEARS AGO WITH 4,000 MILES ON IT. I ALSO OWN A `98 ELDORADO AND A `63 COUPE.IT LOOKS LIKE THE ELDORADO COPIED SOME OF ITS STYLING CUES FROM THE ALLANTE. ALOT PEOPLE WHO OWN ALLANTES DON`T LIKE THE `93. I BOUGHT A `93 FOR THE NORTHSTAR DRIVE TRAIN . OH YEA, THE ALLANTE IS FASTER THAN THE ETC I OWN AND IT`S ALSO QUICKER. NO, ITS NOT A PIECE OF CRAP. I THINK IT IS EVEN PUT TOGETHER BETTER THAN MY ETC. THE FIT AND FINSH OF THE BODY PANELS IS BETTER AND THE WAY THEY FINISH OFF THE TRUNK IN THE ALLANTE IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE ETC.

<A LOT PEOPLE WHO OWN ALLANTES DON`T LIKE THE `93.<

I'm curious 556...why is that? It's the final year, ergo the most refined and de-bugged. Plus the one and only year with the North* power train. They are the most valuable on the auction block...

user posted image

There was a custom Chopped 02 Deville on Ebay a while back and let me just say that was NICE.

Dont remember the price though... It didnt meet the reserve i know.

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

1976 Cadillac Coupe Deville

TO BOB D: BEATS THE HELL OUT OF ME. THERE IS A WEB SITE FOR THE ALLANTES OWNERS . ALOT OF THE OWNERS THAT RESPOND THERE DO NOT OWN THE `93 AND REALLY DON`T LIKE IT. THEY PREFER THE RICARO SEATS. TO ME THEY LOOK LIKE CRAP. LEATHER SEATING AREA STUCK IN A PLASTIC SHELL. NOT VERY ATTACTIVE. THEY DO NOT LIKE THE STERO SYSTEM, THEY DO NOT LIKE THE MIRRORS. THEY DON`T THINK THE NORTHSTAR IS ANYTHING TO RAVE ABOUT. THE `93 HAS 100 (95) MORE HORSE POWER THAN THE BEST THEY HAD TO OFFER IN `92. OH ,YEA THE BRAKES IN THE PRE-`93 HAVE SERIOUS ISSUES, AND YET THEY JUST DON`T LIKE THE CAR. I DON`T GO TO THAT WEB SITE MUCH ANY MORE BECAUSE YOU CAN TELL BY THE REGULARS THAT REPLY ON THE SITE REALLY HAVE NOTHING TO DO. THEY REMIND ME OF A BUNCH OF OLD WOMEN. NOT TO OFFEND BUNCHES OF OLD WOMEN OUT THERE.

TO BOB D: BEATS THE HELL OUT OF ME. THERE IS A WEB SITE FOR THE ALLANTES OWNERS . ALOT OF THE OWNERS THAT RESPOND THERE DO NOT OWN THE `93 AND REALLY DON`T LIKE IT. THEY PREFER THE RICARO SEATS. TO ME THEY LOOK LIKE CRAP. LEATHER SEATING AREA STUCK IN A PLASTIC SHELL. NOT VERY ATTACTIVE. THEY DO NOT LIKE THE STERO SYSTEM, THEY DO NOT LIKE THE MIRRORS. THEY DON`T THINK THE NORTHSTAR IS ANYTHING TO RAVE ABOUT. THE `93 HAS 100 (95) MORE HORSE POWER THAN THE BEST THEY HAD TO OFFER IN `92. OH ,YEA THE BRAKES IN THE PRE-`93 HAVE SERIOUS ISSUES, AND YET THEY JUST DON`T LIKE THE CAR. I DON`T GO TO THAT WEB SITE MUCH ANY MORE BECAUSE YOU CAN TELL BY THE REGULARS THAT REPLY ON THE SITE REALLY HAVE NOTHING TO DO. THEY REMIND ME OF A BUNCH OF OLD WOMEN. NOT TO OFFEND BUNCHES OF OLD WOMEN OUT THERE.

Sounds like thinly veiled wannabee envy? i.e....If you can't have one, then find a whole bunch of reasons to find fault... <_<

user posted image

Archived