CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

where and how to purchase extended warranty

tomreaves

I as well would appreciate any info on GM extended warrenties. Mine does expire in a few thousand miles. Did talk to the dealer and I though the cost was a little too high.

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

I don't know if it's still available but, the old forum had a Ton of info on it.

Short answer - DON'T buy it from GM, you'll pay TWICE what you should ;)

I went with Warranty Direct and have been happy so far

http://www.gmoutlet.com/gmppfaq.html

seems to be a discount site for GMPP warranties, but I have not purchased from them.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I also bought my extention from the dealer and they sold me WD, Warranty Direct, a subsidiary of Firmans Fund Insurance Company. I paid $1695 to extend the factoriy's 4 year, 48000 mile warranty to 7 years, 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. I was pleased with the coverage and the oil pan reseal was way more than that.

If I did it again, I would wait until the factory warranty is about to expire, why should they have my money for almost two years ( I bought my 94 ETC in 96) while the car is under the factory warranty.

There are lots of warranty ads in the classifieds in AutoWeek, maybe someone can comment on their features.

There have been many warranty companies going bankrupt lately. It would behoove you to search out a multi-line company with substantial resources.

Jim in Phoenix

On my Caddies I have been lucky and a extended warranty would of

been a waste for me.

My trucks on the other hand I buy a GM extended warranty for them.

I buy it just before the factory warranty runs out.

After 3 years of heavy towing and snowplowing.......Poor truck always

needs a $2500 trans. fix or a busted 4wd part aka $$$$$$$.

If I don't use it and trade it in GMPP refunds most of the money anyway!

I am currently talking with Black Chevy in Penn. aka gmoutlet.com

for a 3 year major guard/30k miles addl. warranty for around $1100.

No sales tax and they are gonna offer me a GM Employee Discount on

top of that !

NOTE: The GMPP plans they offer START on the date and mileage when

you purchase. My trucks 3/36 factory warranty runs out next month!

As far as aftermarket warranties..........I see toooooo many horror stories

over at the Edmunds threads of them going bankrupt !...........geo

93 DeVille-13 Chevy Impala

72 GTO - 77 Triumph Bonneville

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

New car warranty on my 2000 SLS with 35,000 miles will expire in June. Just thought I'd be so efficient and in January checked into an extended warranty. MSRP on the 2 year GMPP extension was $1585. Local dealer wanted $1295, plus tax. I went to Allen Pontiac-Cadillac site (www.gmoutlet.com) and purchaed for $1105. I was really annoyed to get the documentation from GMPP and find indeed that the extended warranty was from date of purchase of the extended warranty and is basically unrelated to the expiration of the original new car warranty. I could not find any documentation of this, so I complained to Allen Black of Allen Pontiac Cadillac and the response was, like sure, it's the date of purchase and if you want 2 full years of warranty after the expiration of the new car warranty, we'll sell you more warranty coverage! I complained further to GMPP head office and got the same response with some quote from the sales contract --which I never saw anyplace on Allen's website.

It's totally idiotic that these people would allow you to purchase duplicative coverage, so wait until the original warranty is nearly out. You're probably dealing with someone local where you can read the fine print. Unfortunately, the people at Allen are simply not upfront., but the pricing is good so you are at least forewarned.

The good news is that if my current ownership experience continues, this will be a waste of money as the car has been nearly flawless!

New car warranty on my 2000 SLS with 35,000 miles will expire in June. Just thought I'd be so efficient and in January checked into an extended warranty. MSRP on the 2 year GMPP extension was $1585. Local dealer wanted $1295, plus tax. I went to Allen Pontiac-Cadillac site (www.gmoutlet.com) and purchaed for $1105. I was really annoyed to get the documentation from GMPP and find indeed that the extended warranty was from date of purchase of the extended warranty and is basically unrelated to the expiration of the original new car warranty. I could not find any documentation of this, so I complained to Allen Black of Allen Pontiac Cadillac and the response was, like sure, it's the date of purchase and if you want 2 full years of warranty after the expiration of the new car warranty, we'll sell you more warranty coverage! I complained further to GMPP head office and got the same response with some quote from the sales contract --which I never saw anyplace on Allen's website.

It's totally idiotic that these people would allow you to purchase duplicative coverage, so wait until the original warranty is nearly out. You're probably dealing with someone local where you can read the fine print. Unfortunately, the people at Allen are simply not upfront., but the pricing is good so you are at least forewarned.

The good news is that if my current ownership experience continues, this will be a waste of money as the car has been nearly flawless!

Can you get a refund on the warranty you bought?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Dave........Are you sure about that? Black Chevy in Pa. is www.gmoutlet.com

I printed out all their pricing info. GMPP has a 3 tier pricing system according to

miles on the vehicle. NEW, up to 24k, over 24k

My print out clearly states the ex-warranty time/mileage starts when you purchase.

My factory warranty ends May 1. So I will purchase then to get the most coverage

from it......................geo

93 DeVille-13 Chevy Impala

72 GTO - 77 Triumph Bonneville

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

Archived