CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Need new radiator

Ed Hall

The fan was rubbing on the radiator on my '93 Allante causing it to spring a leak so looks like I need a new radiator. It uses the same radiator as an Eldorado/Seville.

1. Are there aftermarket radiators that cool better than OEM.

2. Any recommendations on where I should purchase a new radiator. I called radiators.com and they wanted $200 shipped, then went to rockauto.com where there were 3 radiators listed. The cheapest was $129 shipped (VARIOUS MFR Part #GM3010148). The other 2 brands were Spectra Premium and Proliance. Any differences (better cooling one from another)? Which one should I go with?

IPB Image

The fan was rubbing on the radiator on my '93 Allante causing it to spring a leak so looks like I need a new radiator. It uses the same radiator as an Eldorado/Seville.

1. Are there aftermarket radiators that cool better than OEM.

2. Any recommendations on where I should purchase a new radiator. I called radiators.com and they wanted $200 shipped, then went to rockauto.com where there were 3 radiators listed. The cheapest was $129 shipped (VARIOUS MFR Part #GM3010148). The other 2 brands were Spectra Premium and Proliance. Any differences (better cooling one from another)? Which one should I go with?

I got the one for my 94 Eldorado at 1-800-RADIATOR. It was identical in construction to the OEM radiator, which had a crack in the passenger side plastic tank. The price was about $175 delivered in less than 4 hours. I was so happy, I have him a $10 tip.

After a year, I am still happy with it.

Jim in Phoenix

Jim in Phoenix

Given that Jim is located a half a mile from the SUN, in Phoenix, I would trust his opinion on this!!!! :lol: just make sure that all fittings on any aftermarket radiator are in the same location and that the radiator has the same cooling capacity

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I didn't mind waiting and rockauto.com had a very good return policy so I ended up taking the chance and buying the lower cost $129 radiator. It arrived today and comparing the two radiators side by side, they both look exactly the same. It is amazing that they can sell a radiator this cheap considering that this one has both the oil cooler and transmission cooler.

I was unable to install the new radiator because the airbag sensor mounted near the hood latch is in the way and it is bolted on with tamper proof screws. I don't have the special bit so I'll have to get one tomorrow. Is there any hazard in unplugging this sensor? I don't want the airbag to blow up.

Also, if I leave it unplugged, will this disable the airbags? I think I like to keep it disabled. Studies have shown that airbags don't make your car safer if you're wearing a seat belt. If you're not wearing a seatbelt, then yes you'll be much more likely to survive. I always wear my seatbelt and would rather not have something blow up in my face causing me to loose even more control of the car.

IPB Image

I think that if you disconnect the battery and touch the cables together, the car won't ever know that the bag sensor was unplugged.. I don't know if early model automobiles had good airbags but I am fairly sure that they can't hurt to have them on so long as they're pointed away from your face and neck.

My radiator sprung a leak on me and a local shop put a new tank on there for $60.. so maybe it is fixable for less money.

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

I didn't mind waiting and rockauto.com had a very good return policy so I ended up taking the chance and buying the lower cost $129 radiator. It arrived today and comparing the two radiators side by side, they both look exactly the same. It is amazing that they can sell a radiator this cheap considering that this one has both the oil cooler and transmission cooler.

I was unable to install the new radiator because the airbag sensor mounted near the hood latch is in the way and it is bolted on with tamper proof screws. I don't have the special bit so I'll have to get one tomorrow. Is there any hazard in unplugging this sensor? I don't want the airbag to blow up.

Also, if I leave it unplugged, will this disable the airbags? I think I like to keep it disabled. Studies have shown that airbags don't make your car safer if you're wearing a seat belt. If you're not wearing a seatbelt, then yes you'll be much more likely to survive. I always wear my seatbelt and would rather not have something blow up in my face causing me to loose even more control of the car.

You could replace the both plastic tanks for some $70 from gmparts, but $130 for a radiator is a great price and you'll finish the work much faster. As for airbag, I would not even touch the sensor without disconnecting the battery and removing the related fuse.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

The metal tubes are what went out on this radiator. In fact I counted 10 tubes in which the fan had worn through.

I disconnected the battery this morning. I plan to unbolt the airbag sensor this evening. Will this be enough time to ensure that the airbag doesn't go off?

IPB Image

The metal tubes are what went out on this radiator. In fact I counted 10 tubes in which the fan had worn through.

I disconnected the battery this morning. I plan to unbolt the airbag sensor this evening. Will this be enough time to ensure that the airbag doesn't go off?

Where is the airbag sensor?

I've never owned an 88 Eldorado.. I had an 89 but back then I had so much money that I just would keep it in desk drawers and the automobile would need this or that I'd pick up some 100s and head to the shop *shrug*

But,

I did do some work to the 90 and 91 Seville .. also similar to yours .. and I never saw the airbag sensor.. I guess I could look it up in the SM I have for my 90 sev

wow,

PS: Is that an allante doing 149.. in your avatar?

WOW!

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

On my 1993 Allante, the airbag sensor is located just behind the hood latch. My 88 Eldorado is a simpler car and doesn't have airbags. They started putting airbags in 1990.

Yes, that's my Allante doing 149.. It can go faster than that.

IPB Image

Now is a good time to consider changing your AT fluid...there's at least one thread on the topic here. Basically, since the AT cooler line is disconnected, idle the engine and let the pump drain the fluid.

Scott

1996 El Dorado

2006 STS

2000 Corvette

Any good radiator shops in your area

I have always had very good luck with radiator shops they can recore replace thank give you a bigger core with more rows for cooling etc. Check them out I always purchse radiators from radiator shops. And usually wind up with a better setup than I had before.

Good Luck

Jim

Archived