CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'97 STS brake caliper bracket bolts

KHE

I am in the process of removing the front rotors to have them turned on my '97 STS to eliminate the high speed brake vibration and discovered the front brake caliper mounting changed between '96 and '97 and I only have a '96 shop manual. Can someone with a '97 shop manual post the torque spec for the caliper mounting bracket bolts? This is the bracket that bolts to the knuckle and the caliper bolts to the subject bracket.

These bolts were TIGHT... I had to use a 1/2" breaker bar to break them loose and they were difficult to remove once I broke them loose. There appeared to be some sort of threadlocker on one thread - if anyone could let me know if threadlocker is to be used, I'd appreciate it.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

By the time you get to '98, the torque is 137 lb ft (front).

Caliper pin bolts are 63 lb ft (front).

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I believe they're 140 lb*ft, and the '97 manual says threadlocker is indicated. I couldn't remove them on mine when I did the brakes. I had to have a shop do it. I'll verify the torque when I get home.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Thanks Jason. I'll wait for your reply before I put it back together as I'd hate to leave it too loose or snap the bolts off. I have both blue and red Loctite on the garage shelf - I would guess that the blue, removable strength would be the one to use.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I think the Loctite on mine was actually orange. I don't know if that's the red, discolored after years of use? Maybe that's why I couldn't get mine off. I swore the last dealership for using Loctite, but then I read in the service manual that that's what's required. I'll note if the FSM specifies a type/color of thread locker.

Fastener specs on page 5B1-9:

Bleeder valve, 13 N-m or 110 in-lb

Caliper Anchor Bracket Bolt, 185 N-m or 137 Lb-Ft

Caliper Pin Bolt, 85 N-m or 63 Lb-ft

Inlet Fitting 45 N-m or 33 Lb-ft

On page 5B1-1 a NOTICE says not to use coatings or lubrication on fasteners unless instructed to do so by GM (i.e. this manual), and to be sure and use the exact part number for fasteners. I would expect that an ordinary bolt wouldn't take 137 Lb-ft, for example.

On page 5B1-5, second column, top of page, it says to "Apply a few drops of GM Loctite™ (or equivalent) to threads of caliper anchor bracket bolts before installing or replace with new pre-coated bolts.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Jim,

Thanks for the information! I can now go finish the job - I had the day off and didn't expect to spend the entire afternoon in the garage but sometimes, that's the way it goes. Thanks again!

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Jim, thanks for filling in so quickly. Kevin...what Jim said! :)

Thanks again - Jim and Jason. I finished the job and then bed in the brakes (and then had a few gin 'n' tonics... :D ) The vibration during high speed braking appears to be gone. I think it was due to the car sitting for 6 months before I bought it - when I loaded it onto the tow dolley back in March, the rotors were solid rust. The rust was quickly obliterated once I started driving the car but the pits were probably still there causing the high speed brake vibration.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived