CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

HVAC fan inop

druhl

:angry: The other day I went out for a ride and the ac fan will not run on auto or manual. I smelled a elecrtrical buning smell. I removed the heater / AC programmer box and can't find any burned spot on the board. I called a dealer and they told me the programmer is $500, The junk yard says $100. Does anyone have any ideas of where I should be looking. I also checked the power at the fan and I have battery voltage and a good ground but no controling voltage at all. I did a search and didn't come up with anything that helped , Thanks

:angry: The other day I went out for a ride and the ac fan will not run on auto or manual. I smelled a elecrtrical buning smell. I removed the heater / AC programmer box and can't find any burned spot on the board. I called a dealer and they told me the programmer is $500, The junk yard says $100. Does anyone have any ideas of where I should be looking. I also checked the power at the fan and I have battery voltage and a good ground but no controling voltage at all. I did a search and didn't come up with anything that helped , Thanks

Did you check the fan motor for continuity and the High/Low relay for continuity you may have a burned out blower motor.

Most likely, the blower motor went bad - the electrical smell is a classic sign that the blower motor bought the farm. gmotors.com has the latest design motor/module.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I agree with everyone else. The programmer is pretty reliable. The fans on the other hand have proven to be enough of a problem that they were redesigned. The speed controler (whatever is it called is internal) and operates by variable voltage. I had to R & R one on my '97. My money is on the blower motor.

:) Thanks for the help . It was infact the blower motor and I ended up buying a new four seasons motor for $210 mainly because I didn't want to wait any longer. I ended up first finding a used motor that I pulled my self at the junk yard for $25 but it was also bad. So after that ordeal and after another junk yard told me they charge $125 for theirs and they sell them as fast as they get them so I bit the bullet and bought the new four seasons motor.

Archived