CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Upgrading to a Bose Stereo

I have an 02 Deville with the standard (Non-Bose) CD-Tape-Stereo. I am aware that there are issues upgrading the stereo unit to a non-factory stereo because of lost OnStar and lost steering wheel controls. Can this stereo be upgraded to a factory Bose Stereo? Thanks!!

Going to Bose is not necessarily an "upgrade". Lots of better options available with less hassle.

Going to Bose is not necessarily an "upgrade". Lots of better options available with less hassle.

I agree with this statement. If you're looking for better sound, upgrade the speakers. Brands such as MB Quart and Infiniti Kappa comes to mind. On my car, I installed a set of MB Quart speakers and to my ears it sounds as good or better than the Bose units.

IPB Image

It is possible, but you would want to get the whole thing from someone who had the Bose system on a similar model and removed it. Paying piece by piece would be expensive. I would watch ebay if you are set on a bose setup, or as others suggest go aftermarket.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I agree with this statement. If you're looking for better sound, upgrade the speakers. Brands such as MB Quart and Infiniti Kappa comes to mind. On my car, I installed a set of MB Quart speakers and to my ears it sounds as good or better than the Bose units.

Is it possible to upgrade only the headunit to BOSE or are the other components (ie speakers) a matched set? Thanks!

Is it possible to upgrade only the headunit to BOSE or are the other components (ie speakers) a matched set? Thanks!

The second part of this statement is correct.

IPB Image

EVERYTHING is different where the Bose unit is concerned! Different Head Unit, different trunk-mounted receiver/amplifier AND different speakers.

The Bose speakers are much lower impedance and have individual amplifiers mounted on the rear of each. The Bose speaker units are not meant to be driven by a power amplifier.

Whether you go aftermarket or retrofit a Bose system, it's no easy task. A speaker upgrade, as suggested by Ed Hall, might be your best bet.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Wow you guys are knowledgeable. I think I'll stick with the factory stereo for the time being. The sound is actually very good for a standard stereo and it sounds like an involved project to upgrade.

EVERYTHING is different where the Bose unit is concerned! Different Head Unit, different trunk-mounted receiver/amplifier AND different speakers.

The Bose speakers are much lower impedance and have individual amplifiers mounted on the rear of each. The Bose speaker units are not meant to be driven by a power amplifier.

Whether you go aftermarket or retrofit a Bose system, it's no easy task. A speaker upgrade, as suggested by Ed Hall, might be your best bet.

Regards,

Warren

the one thing I was always kinda perturbed about is my 98 has a rear mounted CD-Changer but if I want to just quickly put a new CD in I really can't unless I get out and pop the trunk, its great for long trips, start at disk 1 and go all the way to 12. Does the head unit with a CD player work with the CD-Changer?

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Bose makes me mad.

I had something like six 89-91 Cads with the bose radios.. I think three of them had that crazy thing. I don't know if they've improved since then but I got rid of them when I had them and I stay away from bose.

I'd rather have one of those little $3 boom box things from the Dollar Store.

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

Archived