CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Just bought my first.

Loudog

So i just bought my first Caddy, its a 1996 Seville SLS, im going to detail the hell of out it tommrow....i havent been able to stop driving it. I managed to get it from this older couple for a steal only 60k on it and got it for 5,900. Two little door dings and it needs brakes (which i can do for myself). Anywho i love this car, the guy i bought it from already had the engine seal done last year as well as a new AC compressor. Anyway i cant wait till i put a new system in it and kick the bose out. Anyway i think ill be hanging out around here since this place seems like the bible for Cadillac owners to fix small problems and such. One thing i dont know how to reset is the fuel consumed it says 99+ other then that im going to take some pictures tommrow. Im in love with this car. BTW this is my first post/topic.

So i just bought my first Caddy, its a 1996 Seville SLS, im going to detail the hell of out it tommrow....i havent been able to stop driving it. I managed to get it from this older couple for a steal only 60k on it and got it for 5,900. Two little door dings and it needs brakes (which i can do for myself). Anywho i love this car, the guy i bought it from already had the engine seal done last year as well as a new AC compressor. Anyway i cant wait till i put a new system in it and kick the bose out. Anyway i think ill be hanging out around here since this place seems like the bible for Cadillac owners to fix small problems and such. One thing i dont know how to reset is the fuel consumed it says 99+ other then that im going to take some pictures tommrow. Im in love with this car. BTW this is my first post/topic.

Welcome, and many happy miles! :)

You'll find some very well informed folk here anxious to help newcomers. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

You mentioned small problems; we deal in large problems here as well. Hope you don't have any. :huh:

The '96 year marked a new generation, but on my '95 I simply hit RESET when "Fuel Consumed" is displayed. Dunno about yours. Pictures are always welcomed.

Regards,

Warren

EDIT: If you don't have an owner's manual, you should be able to find one here, https://www.mygmlink.com/main/US/en/gm/home . Me, I'd go to eBay and try to find an original leather bound copy.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Press the "Information" button until the "Fuel Used" parameter is displayed on the information center and then press and hold reset until it clears.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Welcome and Good Luck you sound excited, that's great! I have a 96 Deville, so I am familiar with your year. That is terrific that your car has had the case half leak repaired and the AC compressor replaced, I replaced mine last year...

You can download a PDF copy of your owners manual here. Adobe Acrobat will allow you to search quickly through the manual to find things easily:

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/resources-cad.html#om

Check on EBAY and see if you can find the FSM (factory service manual) its two volumes and a big help if you do your own work and they will help with diagnosis.

Change your coolant as soon as you can and be sure to add the cooling supplement tablets (very important). GM started using Dexcool coolant your year, unless someone used green, continue using Dexcool. Dexcool is long life 5 years/100K miles. However, if green was EVER used then you must adhear to a 2 year/24K mile schedule even if you use Dexcool, there is plenty of info in the archives if you do a search.

If you have not used the Oil Life Monitor in a Cadillac it monitors a whole host of parameters and based on an algorithm determines when the oil should be changed. Do a search here under Oil life monitor. I get between 5000 and 6000 miles between oil changes. The old school idea to change your oil every 3000 miles is no longer necessary.

Use a good grade of 10W30, synthetic is not necessary in our 96's.. If you find you are using oil, not to worry, do a search under WOT (wide open throttle). The Northstar is a great engine, but it does not like to be babied, the harder you are with her, but more she will like it.. Use entrance ramps to parkways as an opportunity to clear out carbon as you WOT to about 70 (be safe and don't do it in the rain).

When you do your brakes, there are rubber bushing kits for the front and the rear calipers the you should replace on your 96, I just replaced mine, they wear and allow the caliper to oscillate. The rear bushing kit is not cheap, but the front kit is cheap. There are two rubber bushings in each caliper in the front and ONE rubber bushing in each rear caliper (the kit is called a BOOT kit in the rear). I will post photos later of the rear bushings, I just did them this week. I am a firm believer in lightly turning the rotors when I do my brakes to clean them up, to give the new pads a non-directional surface, and to fix any thickness variation. Others will say it's not necessary, but this is one habit that I have held on to and I have good results. Speaking of habits, if you don't have one, buy a torque wrench, the wheels should be torqued to 100 ft. lbs. Improper and unever torque is responsible for a host of problems (vibration and rotor shudder). You will want to torque all bolts/nuts to proper torque also (including calipers, caliper brackets, etc).

If you go to this link > http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...=9357&st=45 You will see a photo of the front rubber bushings that I posted last month.......

Check these places when you need to buy parts:

www.gmotors.com (my favorite)

www.rockauto.com

www.car-parts.com

Post a photo when you get a chance. If you can manage it, become a supporting member here there are a few good benefits to it, plus this is a great resource as you noted. I think its $25 a year.... this board will easily save you that on your first repair :lol:. Welcome aboard, Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived