CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

strange multiple codes and datastream readings

jmetz63

I am looking for a some help figuring out a friends STS issues. He has a 1993 STS with the 4.9 Northstar and it has some bad idle and drivability issues. I pulled the computer codes and found a multitude of them.

code 15- coolant temp low or short

code 16- battery voltage to high or low

code 18-executive loop overrun

code 19- fuel pump signal high or shorted

code 60- cruise engaged with car not in drive

code 88-torque convertor clutch (TCC) not disengaging(repeats twice)

code 117- QDSM #3 output open or shorted

While watching the datastream while car was running I noticed MAF readings slightly high 7.5 gps and that vehicle speed read 126 mph at idle in park.

Was told ECU was swapped to try and correct issues but had no effect on way it ran or codes they got.

Did notice that while removing spark plug wires one by one that removing #6 wire made no difference in the idle. Next step I figured on doing wa a compression test and replacing #6 coilpack, wire, ignition module and plug since I have the spares.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

jmetz63

WIth the battery voltage code, have you had the battery load tested?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Cadillacs are very sensitive to proper voltage. Be sure the battery and cables are good.

Next, I would try tap testing the PCM. While the car is running, tap on the PCM in different spots. Any stalls or 'burps' indicate a bad PCM.

May also need a new PROM.

The 125 mph in park is a clue to a bad PCM.

• 3 weeks later...

well, replaced battery, CPU, temp sensor, coil pack, wires and plugs. Thankfully we had all spares saved from another 4.6. Also found some vacumm elbows that had cracked and replaced them. Car is running much and codes have dropped to 4 now.

code 15- coolant temp low or short

code 16- battery voltage to high or low

code 19- fuel pump signal high or shorted

code 88-torque convertor clutch (TCC) not disengaging(but still repeats twice)

Car runs good with a slight miss still. Did pull wires one at a time (again) and found little change when 6 was pulled. swapped wires, plugs with 4 and got no change. 6 still misfired. changing coil pack didnt help.

Was also looking for some advise about unplugging the TCC. Read where it wont affect drivability except for a slight loss of mileage and final overdrive. Where is this magic plug located and any info on changing/unplugging would be appreciated

Archived