CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

tune up

VMAN

that all depends upon whether you want OEM replacement or if you want to "upgrade" a bit, also known as the famous - **Modification**.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

The northstar needs very little in terms of tuneup items. New plug wires and new spark plugs between 60k and 100k (supposed to last 100k). I recommend ac/delco wires due to the interesting electronic interference sensitivities the NS has.

I also recommend ac/delco double platinum plugs.

I see the LS1's and vortec engines switched to the iridium plugs, so if you want to try those and report that would be good.

Coil pack is a service item only if there is a problem.

Air filter -- a clean paper filter is good. A reusable drop-in filter is fine, but does not appear to help acceleration in my tests. A cone filter results have been varied, but I know Jadcock did quite a bit of experimentation with it and then went back to the paper filter. If you do more experiments with this please document part number, an image of the install, and measured results.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

You should have the Northstar engine, and I think in general, GM parts work best on this engine -- especially the spark plugs and wires. But I'd diagnose those items before installing anything new. Are you having misfires with the car? Does it run rough? Does it run just fine? If it runs great, I'd just check the air filter and replace that if necessary and let it go. It's the if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it mentality.

I'm not sure what you mean on your coil packs. These are not maintenance items and should only be replaced if malfunctioning. You should have four coil packs, and you only need to replace the one or ones that/which are bad -- if any are bad at all. Again, these are not a routine maintenance item.

For the air filter, the replacement is up to you. There are some of us (myself included) who prefer to maintain the car with GM (AC-Delco) parts where no mechanical gains can easily me achieved. If you have other modifications to the car in mind (like exhaust), a high flow low filtration air filter might do you well. If you're just looking to replace the filter if it's dirty -- pickup an AC-Delco filter from your friendly GM dealer for about 6 bucks.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived