CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

new tires

ROCKnROLL

i just purchased 4 michelin blackwall tires.

is there still an inside and outside of a tire?

what can i look for to let me know that the correct side is on the outside?

i noticed the treadwear, temperature and traction ratings on the tires are mounted on the inside.

thanks

I would think those important numbers, such as maximum tire pressure, should be mounted where you can read them, on the outside.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

i noticed the treadwear, temperature and traction ratings on the tires are mounted on the inside.

Depending on the tread design, there is no "inside" or "outside", as long as the tread is symmetrical. My tires are actually like yours -- the UTOG ratings and DOT codes are actually mounted on the inboard side of the tire. Your tires should still have a max pressure spec on both sidewalls though, I would think. Even though my tires are mounted "backwards", the max pressure spec and sidewall and carcass construction are still visible because they're embossed on both sides of the tire.

If it really bothers you, and you can verify that there are no max pressure specs on the outside of the sidewall, I'd take it back to the shop and have them flip the tires.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Did you check at http://www.tirerack.com and see what they say/recommend about your tires? They might have the answer you seek..... :huh:

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Archived