CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Ticking Noises From Rear

96DeVille

I just purchased a 96 Deville about a month ago and it has always made this clicking or ticking sound out of the rear of the vehicle, near the mufflers. I cannot figure out what it is, I think it could be a sensor but Im not sure. If someone knows how I can fix this problem or can be of any help I will greatly appreciate it, thanks.

Is it making this sound when it's moving or still? If it's doing it when parked I would check air compressor for the ELC. It's the only thing back there that could make noise while parked. If it's when it's moving it's probably suspension related.

No, the cars not sagging but I hear the buzzing sound as soon as I turn on the ignition. It goes away once in a while but I just want to take care of the problem. Do you know how much it would cost me or if I could do it myself?

Check the level sensor - it may be causing the compressor to run continuously. Another possibility is the level control relay - it is mounted on the compressor assembly. Too bad the "LEVEL RIDE" light is no longer on the dash. That light would illuminate whenever the compressor was running which made diagnosis easier.

Are you sure you're not hearing the fuel pump? The electric fuel pumps make a buzzing sound - normal.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

OOPS - forget the comment about the fuel pump - I just read where the noise is audible even with the engine off.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

"Too bad the "LEVEL RIDE" light is no longer on the dash. That light would illuminate whenever the compressor was running which made diagnosis easier."

The light(85 Riviera) also let me know that "IT" wasn't in my head after all. :D

rek

The buzzing sound is normal. If you didn't hear the buzzing sound that would probably tip you off to a non-working compressor. The only way to know for sure is to crawl under the car and see exactly where the noise is coming from.

The buzzing sound is normal. If you didn't hear the buzzing sound that would probably tip you off to a non-working compressor. The only way to know for sure is to crawl under the car and see exactly where the noise is coming from.

It wouldn't be normal if the ignition is off... The later post seems to indicate that the ELC compressor is running continuously.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I know you mentioned the sound seems to be coming from the underside of the car, BUT have you noticed if the power antenna works properly? I had an eldo where the mast seized but the motor kept going and eventually broke the nylon "rope" inside and would just sit there spinning it's wheels, literally. Never replaced it, just pulled the fuse. Probably the only Cad with a fully extended antenna in the parking lot. Nobody every messed with it though! :lol:

Thanks for all your input, I will have to investigate the problem further by looking beneath the car and finding out exactly what this annoying sound is.

Archived