CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Better Gas Mileage, +MPG?

jinxed45

Hello..

I know that using your A/C will decrease your gas mileage.. open windows will decrease gas mileage (wind resistence).. but you don't want to be burning hot in your car, especially here in Southern California. So my question is:

If I have the FAN on full blast, but the A/C OFF.. does it affect the gas mileage? Or is the FAN just running on battery?

I know you can't have it both ways, but I'm just curious. I'll have the windows down and A/C on all the time I'm sure.

The fan will have little impact on fuel economy.

With AC, the compressor must be turned (and the fan will usually be on). The fan uses almost no power so it is your best bet if you want to save gas. Just set your climate control to ECON (if you can bear the heat!) :D

-Chris

I think theoretically, using MAX A/C (recirc) is better for fuel economy because you're feeding the system cold air, rather than hot outside air. The system doesn't have to work as hard to cool this already cold air and it runs the compressor less.

On the other hand, I don't think it's generally recommended to run in recirc mode all the time because of possible toxins that would never get cleared out. I don't know how much of a danger that is though.

By the way, it's usually said that leaving the windows up and running the A/C will offer you better economy than having the windows down with the HVAC system off. I'm sure this does depend on vehicle design and aerodynamics, but they used to say that was the case, especially at higher speeds.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I think theoretically, using MAX A/C (recirc) is better for fuel economy because you're feeding the system cold air, rather than hot outside air. The system doesn't have to work as hard to cool this already cold air and it runs the compressor less.

On the other hand, I don't think it's generally recommended to run in recirc mode all the time because of possible toxins that would never get cleared out. I don't know how much of a danger that is though.

By the way, it's usually said that leaving the windows up and running the A/C will offer you better economy than having the windows down with the HVAC system off. I'm sure this does depend on vehicle design and aerodynamics, but they used to say that was the case, especially at higher speeds.

The owner's manual for my '83 Chevy points out that using the AC with the windows rolled up during highway driving will use less gas than not using the AC with the windows rolled down during highway driving so even way back in 1983 they already knew that you improved your gas mileage by rolling up your windows and using the AC.

Rolled down windows during highway driving creates drag in the worst of ways and that kills your gas mileage.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Using the fan without A/C (econ) will not affect MPG but will do very little cooling when temps are above 60 deg. While using the A/C does drop MPG I have found that it is not all that bad after they went to the radial type compressors. I still get 25 MPG during the summer with A/C on.

Archived