CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

P056

Driving home from one of the doctor's offices today, in bumper-bumper traffic, the SES light took a moment or two to say hello to me. Thrice. In short order I noticed several 1-2 shifts under very low throttle shook baby violently. Since it WAS bumper-bumper I had an opportunity to interrogate the PCM for codes. Yep, P056.

Once home, moving the stick from neutral to either Drive or Reverse produced a similar violent "clunk." The FSM explains that absent a signal from the TIS (Transaxle Input (speed) Sensor) it will go into a protect mode that includes max hydraulic pressure resulting in "harsh" shifts. I'll say!

The FSM can be infuriating when you are trying to locate info. However, replacement of the TIS is covered not in the "On-Vehicle" portion of the manual, but rather in the "Tranaxle Repair Unit" portion of the manual.

I'm not entirely certain whether this means the TIS can or cannot be replaced "In-Vehicle.'

Here's what I'm talking about: http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/WBucket/TrannyTIS.jpg (179KB)

Recovering from surgery I'm not able to do much more than remove and reseat the electrical connector cable at the tranny. Absent that, it goes to a shop somewhere. Speed is of the essence.

Any/all suggestions welcome.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Any/all suggestions welcome.

Regards,

Warren

If you clear the code, does it get set again on the next drive cycle?

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

If you clear the code, does it get set again on the next drive cycle?

Naw, it wasn't necessary. Kept gettin' whiplash! :(

Regards,

Warren

EDIT: I made a 20 minute stop on the way home. No change on the next ignition cycle.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Hello Warren,

I think the trans has to come out . Oddly enough when I called Bedford about doing my torque converter issue he spoke of replacing this speed sensor. he says hes replaced several on cadillacs. I dont know much about it and infact this is only the second time I have heard of it.

Get well Warren ! :)

Michael

I was wrong about this it was the Rpm turbine speed something, he said.

I havent a clue . Im lost I'll shut up and watch now...lol

Michael

Michael,

Thanks for your good wishes.

Regards,

Warren :)

Posted Image

Good Luck Warren and feel better, Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Check the spark plug wires to see if they are too close to the wiring harness. That sensor is subject to electrical interference. If it is intermittent I would not worry about it. It is expensive to change due to the tranny having to be dropped. Mine has been intermittent now for 3 years. Just shifts hard when it is on.

Check this thread ISS FIX, look for posts by 51magnum. Looks like he wired some sort of amplifirer circuit that boosts the frequency of his failing ISS. Not sure if your having the same problem but it's definitely worth a shot before you take it to a shop.

Measuring the sensor and at the PCM give me the same resistance. So I do think my sensor is getting weak. I did build a simple amp circuit and I hooked everything up and IT WORKS!!!! I have driven the car for a week now and no service engine soon light!

A.J.

Well it's been a few days now, so I thought I'd report back.

A friend was kind enough to unseat and reseat the electrical connector at the transaxle. I checked/reset the code just before his little exercise without a happy result. Afterwards, everything has so far seemed fine.

Perhaps, just perhaps, that was it. If it doesn't act up again, I'll never really know, will I? I really hate uncertainty. Heisenberg had nothing on me.

These days I only do a 2 mile or so grocery run each day, so not much mileage to report.

acklac7: I'm in the electronics business so I enjoyed being reminded of that clever workaround!

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Well it's been a few days now, so I thought I'd report back.

A friend was kind enough to unseat and reseat the electrical connector at the transaxle. I checked/reset the code just before his little exercise without a happy result. Afterwards, everything has so far seemed fine.

Perhaps, just perhaps, that was it. If it doesn't act up again, I'll never really know, will I? I really hate uncertainty. Heisenberg had nothing on me.

These days I only do a 2 mile or so grocery run each day, so not much mileage to report.

acklac7: I'm in the electronics business so I enjoyed being reminded of that clever workaround!

Regards,

Warren

Glad to hear its doing well for you Warren ! :)

Michael

Michael

Thanks again for your kind wishes Michael.

I really enjoy your "1998 Seville as a 'muscle car in an Armani suit.' "

That's why I don't enjoy seeing Caddys reveal too much of their rotors and calipers (a little is okay). It's too much like showing your butt crack at a wedding. :lol: . . . . in an Armani suit.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Michael

Thanks again for your kind wishes Michael.

I really enjoy your "1998 Seville as a 'muscle car in an Armani suit.' "

That's why I don't enjoy seeing Caddys reveal too much of their rotors and calipers (a little is okay). It's too much like showing your butt crack at a wedding. :lol: . . . . in an Armani suit.

Regards,

Warren

LOL God love ya ! Thats what Car and Driver called it after road testing it...

Michael-

That's why I don't enjoy seeing Caddys reveal too much of their rotors and calipers (a little is okay). It's too much like showing your butt crack at a wedding. laugh.gif . . . . in an Armani suit.

Warren-

I had the same rims you do on my STS. Great looking wheels, I miss em'. I find the chrome star spoke rims on my SLS really good looking, but I HATE looking at my rusty rotors behind my gleaming chrome wheels. Too handsome a vehicle to have such "sporty" rims. My butt crack is hanging out! :P

Sorry to hear about your tranny. I always worried about the input speed sensor crapping out on my '95. Let's hope she holds out, and I hope you get to feeling better. I miss being in the "95" club with you!

--Ben

Archived