CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Changed the radiator - good instructions

I swapped out my leaking radiator this weekend using the instroctions I found here - they were spot on! it took just about an afternoon working at my usual leisurely pace.

(Rock Auto: $175 with 2 hoses. Be careful, there's an error in their catalog regarding later El Dorado's. They owe me $160 but I'm sure they're good for it.)

I wasn't prepared for all the new plumbing - two lines each for oil cooling I guess, one set on each side. Easy enough, but lots of room for error in working with brass-to-aluminum fittings in hard to reach places. I'll bet a lot of people cross thread the things.

Anyway, I fired it up and apparently completely forgot to connect one of the oil lines - half a pint later I noticed it. Not a big problem - that's what keeps me from being a professional.

The instructions were good and I'd encourage anyone to take on the task.

Scott

Scott

1996 El Dorado

2006 STS

2000 Corvette

Yes, it is quite a few connections and a lot of crap in the way compared to the old days! I replaced my 98 Tahoe's tired radiator this weekend, and it has the oil and trans cooler lines on either side as well. I actually thought about that as I was connecting them up... "man, that would make a mess if you forgot to connect one of these!" :o Sorry you had to be the guy Spurlee!

Well, I had a more serious mishap as I slipped with the utility knife as I was rushing to try and get this new upper hose cut. The rain had started, and I had tools laying out all over the driveway... Bad move! :unsure: I sliced halfway into the tip of my index finger, it stopped when the blade hit the nail I think. I had to go to the ER as the clinic was closed, and they actually glued it closed vs. stiching it! :blink: It doesn't look to bad, just a little swollen and I actually finished the radiator job today! :rolleyes:

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

I know the feeling of getting a deep (to the bone cut) on the finger. I reached into a bathroom wall to run a coax cable, & I found my dads discarded rasor blades (dropped down the wall from the slot in the medicine cabinet) - I didn't know thats what that slot was untill this happened to me. Anyway, for a minute, I thought I was bit or something, the pain was just so overwhelming. luckily it was my finger tip, and it healed 100%

Spurlee,

The extra plumbing you mention is oil cooler one one side and trans fluid cooler on the other.

Larry: I see. Then the little cooler that's in the very front of the A/C condensor must be the P/S cooler, right? Lots 'o plumbing. I guess I lost enough trans fluid to consider draining the thing anyway. I'll have to search here to see if it's a DIY event.

Spruce: Sorry to hear about your finger. When I was a young man I learned not to sit cross legged and draw a shop knife toward you while holding the hose in your lap.

Scott

Scott

1996 El Dorado

2006 STS

2000 Corvette

Spurlee,

The extra plumbing you mention is oil cooler one one side and trans fluid cooler on the other.

Larry: I see. Then the little cooler that's in the very front of the A/C condensor must be the P/S cooler, right? Lots 'o plumbing. I guess I lost enough trans fluid to consider draining the thing anyway. I'll have to search here to see if it's a DIY event.

Spruce: Sorry to hear about your finger. When I was a young man I learned not to sit cross legged and draw a shop knife toward you while holding the hose in your lap.

Scott

Yes, I think that might be a P/S fluid cooler.

Archived