CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

front struts for'97 Deville

jhall

My '97 Deville is exhibiting poor dampening on the front end. When driving slow over speed bumps it feels like the body "bottoms out" against the end stops. The fast ride is a little squirrely. Feels like the front end "hops" when a pothole or overpass expansion gap is encountered. Car has 142K on it, so I assume this is a strut issue.

The problem is trying to find the non- electronic struts for the front end. The car has the ride elevation in the rear, but it does not have the ride control package.

Any advice on where to get some decent struts?

jhall,

Theres Boston struts and Arnots. There may even be more places than that though. Are you getting an suspension code ?

Michael

But really for about 900 you could get the same active ones off Ebay ! And there not hard to put on at all.

Michael

It already has passive struts on it ?

RockAuto has the ACDelco struts for the FE1 suspension; #505-525 and #505-526. RockAuto does not show a Monroe or Gabriel part number for this application.

The GM online parts houses will show #22064723 and 22064724 for the FE1 code.

Expect to pay approximately $130 each for parts.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Yeah,

It was built with the "soft ride" strut package. Apparently the earlier Devilles had the active ride control as an option, so there are no codes to throw - just a "squishy feel" and it seems the bumps I'm ecountering are sending the wheel assembly into the end stops sometimes. As I mentioned, rolling over speed bumps makes it bottom out - and I can feel it.

I just found the replacement strut at Rock Auto for about $130 each. Not too back considering the electronic version costs around $500 each.

I was going to look at the front struts today, but got held up replacing the rear brake pads - caught them just before the inside pads tagged the rotors on both sides!

Not really looking forward to pulling the front end down. Needs new struts and I'm feeling slop in the drive axles. Got a little too much slack in the drive train between coasting and a tap on the accelerator to move forward when I'm rolling in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Feels like a bad engine mount, but I replaced these and the dogbones when I rebuilt the engine, so I'm pretty sure it's the drive shafts.

Jim

Thanks. I guess I was looking at the same time you were.....

I went with the 'luxury' ride struts from Boston. I put the rear on and plan to put the front on shortly. The rear helped my bottoming out a bit, I can't wait to do the front. Boston also carries a tighter strut for the Deville. If you don't have the computer to worry about, a set of Boston struts is about $500. I currently get the Service Ride Control message which is more annoying than I thought it would be..

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I went with the 'luxury' ride struts from Boston. I put the rear on and plan to put the front on shortly. The rear helped my bottoming out a bit, I can't wait to do the front. Boston also carries a tighter strut for the Deville. If you don't have the computer to worry about, a set of Boston struts is about $500. I currently get the Service Ride Control message which is more annoying than I thought it would be..

I have read theres away on the eariler Devilles to change this in the climate control device. It was in the

Motor mag we get up the shop Ill get that mag and bring it home with me but there website is www.motor.com

Michael Southward

Bloomington,Indiana

Archived