CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

It Just Wont Start. Somebody please help me!!!!

Hello,

My name is Daniel. I have a 1988 Cadillac Sedan Deville With the 4.5L V8. Ok,the day before it broke down, i drove it to Birmingham, Al, about 1 Hr away from where i live here in Huntsville,Al anyway. She made it all the way down there and back with no problem what so ever. The next morning i get up and get ready to get in the car and go 2 work. and it took a little bit longer than usual to start,but i didn't think anything about it i just wrote it off and went to work, so when i got off work that night at 7 something told me to go to the house and park the car. On my way to the house i stopped at the store, and to me it seemed like she was running a little bit hotter than usual didn't think anything of it once again. I finally get home back the car into the driveway. and went in the house for about 1Hr and 30Min. Come back outside gettin ready to go pick my baby up and she started up then cut rite back off.. if your thinkin i dont have gas in it ur wrong it has 9 gallons in it so its not that.. here is a list of the things if checked,

Fuse Box #1

Fuel Pump

Fuel Filter

Distributor

All Fluids

Battary

Alternator

All of the above thing are in working order.

does anybody have any idea what this could be please let me know. im so lost rite now, i really need my caddy back. i think my baby mama is gettin 2 comfortable with the fact that i need her now.. Somebody please help me though.... im in the beggin stage now...

Daniel

You didnt say, so it just cranks now without starting?

I don't know specifics about your car as I never had that vintage, so I am going to ask questions. How did you check the fuel pump? If its an electric fuel pump was pressure confirmed at a fuel tap? Are you getting spark? The symptoms you describle sound to me like ignition related. Have you confirmed spark? Is there an ignition module in the distributor?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

With the ignition in the run position, simultaneously press and hold the OFF and WARMER buttons on the climate control panel and wright down any codes that are displayed. When you see .7.0, the system has completed displaying codes and is awaiting further input. You can exit diagnostics by turning the ignition to the off/lock position or bu pressing AUTO on the climate control panel.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

You didnt say, so it just cranks now without starting?

I don't know specifics about your car as I never had that vintage, so I am going to ask questions. How did you check the fuel pump? If its an electric fuel pump was pressure confirmed at a fuel tap? Are you getting spark? The symptoms you describle sound to me like ignition related. Have you confirmed spark? Is there an ignition module in the distributor?

My first car was an 88 I believe lots of issues all the time. It was a no win battle with that one. always a computer related issue But it had a killer paint job !

Michael-

Archived