CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Dumping coolant...

jon40

I've got a coolant leak on my '94 STS. It's in the line coming from the bottom of the coolant resevior, that bends around to the back of the engine. At first I thought it was a rubber line, but after a close look I realized its steel, and rusting out. I can clearly see a pin hole in the line where the coolant's leaking, just below the joint close to the resevior.

Anyone have any experience with this problem? It looks extremely difficult to get to and doesn't look like an easy fix.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jon

I've got a coolant leak on my '94 STS. It's in the line coming from the bottom of the coolant resevior, that bends around to the back of the engine. At first I thought it was a rubber line, but after a close look I realized its steel, and rusting out. I can clearly see a pin hole in the line where the coolant's leaking, just below the joint close to the resevior.

Anyone have any experience with this problem? It looks extremely difficult to get to and doesn't look like an easy fix.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jon

Try to replace it with a length of hose. I've replaced many rusted out coolant pipes on Fords, GMs, Jaguars, and Alfa Romeos with hose. Originality is nice but practicality is better.

Good luck.

Does it help to pull out the tank?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I don't think so Mike. From what I remember, the problem is the line. It is tucked up behind the rear head and is almost impossible to get at.

I don't think so Mike. From what I remember, the problem is the line. It is tucked up behind the rear head and is almost impossible to get at.

Yeah, it's not the tank that's the hard part. the line runs to an impossible location. I really just can't figure out how to get to it. I can't even see the actual connection where the line goes into the engine.

I was thinking of putting some stop leak in it, but that's obviously just going to prolong my pain...

the line runs to an impossible location......I can't even see the actual connection where the line goes into the engine.

It does not go into the engine on the passenger side. What you've got are 2 metal pipes that run across the back of the engine to connection on the drivers side in the water crossover area.

These pipes are the input and output lines for the heater core. The line from the coolant tank flows into the return line from the heater core.

I was looking at mine and it looks like you might have a shot at replacing the 2 metal pipes if you remove the coil pack / IM assembly and ease the big fat wiring harness out of the way.

Looks like the tightest spot is where the coolant tank line T's into the return line - right between the head and the strut tower. Looks like a B...... Maybe if you could get the car up on some jack stands, you could get to it from the bottom to do the hose clamps.

Here's a pic of the coolant pipe set.

It's a challenge to remove it since the bolts are hard to see (the small ones at the top of the clamping holders), but it can be done. You'll have to pry the holders open to remove the pipe unless you can get a wrench on the larger (13mm) bolts.

Good luck

[attachmentid=2425]

post-1784-1144113931.jpg

Archived