CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Transmission Flush

taiorlvb

I was wondering if having your tranmission flushed is worth the time and effort. The transmission on my car has approx. 50K miles on it. It was rebuilt. It has been running fine with no problems, then the other day it gets stuck in 1st gear. Would a flush help? Any advise would be great. Thanks in advance.

You both should checked the search before posting the words "tranny" and "flush" in the same sentance without the word "drain".

This board went into "flood control" before I could post this - be ready...

Only drain and refill - never flush or recycle because the chances of getting whatever from the flush before ...is very high. Think of a toilet flushing up for a visual-sensual picture.

Oh yea, Nikolai, I can relate to your picture. Last year leaving Vegas (after being rained out at Richard Petty school), I ran with something European at up to 111 in driving rain for many many miles. I can say with profound experiance that the traction control works great at any speed while accelerating.

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

You both should checked the search before posting the words "tranny" and "flush" in the same sentance without the word "drain".

This board went into "flood control" before I could post this - be ready...

Only drain and refill - never flush or recycle because the chances of getting whatever from the flush before ...is very high. Think of a toilet flushing up for a visual-sensual picture.

Oh yea, Nikolai, I can relate to you picture. Last year leaving Vegas (after being rained out at Richard Petty school), I ran with something European at up to 111 in driving rain for many many miles. I can say with profound experiance that the traction control works great at any speed while accelerating.

Yeah, that run was very challenging. The two C4's I ran with were easy to keep up on but having to watch them slide only made it more uncomfortable to be behind them. Hell of a drive though, going again in early April.

Vettes and rain = ouch !

My youngest sons SCCA-races his WRX against Vettes (granted, in diff classes). He and his WRX buddies love it when the track is wet. However, the low times flip flop back to the Vettes along with the sunshine.

You can join the SCCA for not too much (out West anyway) but I don't think I have ever seen an STS on the track.

NOW, I would pay some real dollars to run twisty-turnies in a new AWD STS-V (might need a few years of practice tho...) ;)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

I was wondering about that myself now that I'm at 100k..

Michael-

Never have the tranny or cooling system flushed by these new services that you see advertised on TV and in some shops. Just drain and refill with a 50/50 mix of the proper coolant and distilled water. You can get distilled water usually at the grocery store. Don't forget the cooling supplement.

ALSO, its 5 years or 100,000 miles, you are beyond 5 years, change your coolant ASAP if it has not been changed.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I was wondering if having your tranmission flushed is worth the time and effort. The transmission on my car has approx. 50K miles on it. It was rebuilt. It has been running fine with no problems, then the other day it gets stuck in 1st gear. Would a flush help? Any advise would be great. Thanks in advance.

On this board "transmission" and "flush" are not to be used together under any conditions. There is a tendency for contamination from the last change. A lot of people have complained that after flushing the tranny it would need some kind of expensive repair. Some tranny shops are pushing flushing because it keeps them in business.

As far as the tranny stuck in first gear, have you checked your diagnostic codes? Sounds like the shift solenoids. If it is that is the least expensive repair that can be made, usually $150 to $350 depending on where you go. The codes will tell you what is wrong, post them and someone will help.

Never have the tranny or cooling system flushed by these new services that you see advertised on TV and in some shops. Just drain and refill with a 50/50 mix of the proper coolant and distilled water. You can get distilled water usually at the grocery store. Don't forget the cooling supplement.

Does the tranny work better with the coolant mix and supplement tablets?

:lol:

Archived