CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Radio Help

angeno03

Hey guys got a 95 sts w/ Base factory cd player. When I turn the radio on all I hear is loud high frequency buzz. If I turn the radio all the way up I can faintly hear the radio. If I'm driving when I push the gas the sound gets louder. This is the same for the radio and cd player. Any ideas???? Please help.

Hey guys got a 95 sts w/ Base factory cd player. When I turn the radio on all I hear is loud high frequency buzz. If I turn the radio all the way up I can faintly hear the radio. If I'm driving when I push the gas the sound gets louder. This is the same for the radio and cd player. Any ideas???? Please help.

hey,

someone else had this and its something to do with the suspension computer in the back. if i remmeber right. its in an older post though. he ened up moving his ant wires in the back or something. i'll try to find it and check back. and did you mean bose or really base ?

michael ;)

ON my 94 ETC, the base radio plays through a remote amplifyer mounted in the trunk. It sounds like your amp has died. Check the fuses in the aux fuse panel back there. Also check for loose connections at the amplifyer. If you need a replacement amplifyer, be careful, the Bose uses a line amp and they look very similar, but it won't work on the base radios. Working used ones are hard to find.

Good luck,

Jim in Phoenix

Jim in Phoenix

Do the chimes work? If it's like my deville, chimes also go's thru the trunk amp (though only a single speaker). understanding that you hear a almost inaudible sound from the speaker, adjust the base & treble, fade & balance, & let me know if the amp is responsive to these adjustments. When the radio is off, do you hear a faint hiss from the speakers?

Do the chimes work? If it's like my deville, chimes also go's thru the trunk amp (though only a single speaker). understanding that you hear a almost inaudible sound from the speaker, adjust the base & treble, fade & balance, & let me know if the amp is responsive to these adjustments. When the radio is off, do you hear a faint hiss from the speakers?

I have a 96 Deville also, I don't have any chimes (I don't think), when does your car chime? Turn Signal on too long as an example I may have a chime then.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Sorry I did mean Bose not base. If the radio is turned off I do not hear a faint hiss. If I radio is off there is no sound at all just like it is supposed to be.

If the head unit is bad I know that they can be found on ebay ! Every caddy I have ever had though I've always had troubles with the speakers in the front doors going bad.

Michael S ;)

Where is Ranger and Bbob? I thought they new everything there was to know about these cars. No I'm not being sarcastic. These guys along w/ many others are great for a forum like this. Thank God for the internet. I'm going to try disconnecting my battery, if that doesn't work I'm all ears.

I had radio problems with my 94 Concours when I bought it. It would only play at a range that was annoying. I took it to have my door acuators replaced where the tech unhooked the battery to do this. When I got the car back the radio worked fine. The tech said he never touched the radio, he just unhooked the battery. It has been working fine now for 5 years. Give that a try, it does not cost anything.

BBF,

I have 2 types of chimes - fast & slow

lights on (slow)

key in ignition in off position & door open (slow)

door ajar & moving +5mph (slow)

turn off engine low oil pressure - (fast)

turn direction on more than 1 mi (fast)

I always thought they made the turn signal a fast chime equal to the engine overheating amusing.

Where is Ranger and Bbob? I thought they new everything there was to know about these cars. No I'm not being sarcastic. These guys along w/ many others are great for a forum like this. Thank God for the internet. I'm going to try disconnecting my battery, if that doesn't work I'm all ears.

When you get your CD player working might I recommend your first CD, How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie :lol:

We all have fat fingers here and our Cadillacs are sitting in our garages waiting for bbob to return someday, his absence is the main reason for GM's woes! Many of us have jumped ship and gone Asian as a result, its such a shame! Ranger is good but he just can't satisfy member demand and we are having uncontrolled detonation, pulsation, FPR problems, suspension problems, radio problems, no heat, leaky radiators, case half leaks, cold start knocking. We are a ship without a rudder. You may need to park your car also. No I'm not being sarcastic, just stating the facts. :lol:

Listen YOU have a unique problem, no one has had your problem. We don't know if your head unit or CD unit is functional and its nearly impossible to help you with your SPECIFIC problem. I don't know what bbob or ranger would do :blink: , but personally (and I am not a bbob or a ranger so forgive me :blink: ) I would have those units tested by a shop familiar with the units. I am not bbob or ranger :blink: but, might I humbly recommend Model Electronics. Call their 800 number and ask questions about their ability to test and adjust the units > http://modelelectronicsinc.com/home.htm I have used them in the past and they are good.

You can also see stefank and Willie Hank's and JimD's posts, they are not bbob or ranger either :blink: but they are pretty sharp when it comes to electronics and these audio systems, BUT I doubt that they have run across the problem you are having. Let me know how you like the CD I liked it a lot. :lol::lol:

BBF,

I have 2 types of chimes - fast & slow

lights on (slow)

key in ignition in off position & door open (slow)

door ajar & moving +5mph (slow)

turn off engine low oil pressure - (fast)

turn direction on more than 1 mi (fast)

I always thought they made the turn signal a fast chime equal to the engine overheating amusing.

Hey thanks Winterset, now that I think about it, I have chimes also, :lol: I miss the turn signal chime that was on my 91, I hate the CHEAP LOUD clicking...it's so out of place in a CADILLAC cabin

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived