CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

speed limiter

i was suprised to see that my eldorado 97' did not seem to have a limiter.

the last 3 GMC envoys my parents have owned have had speed limiters at 160-170kms/hr. i managed to get my eldorado up to 245kms/hr.

the speedo goes up to 250kms/hr wouldn't they make the limiter to cut down before the maximum speed on the speedo(not that i am complaining). i was just curious if anyone knows if they have a limit and what is it?

With Z-rated tires, the limiter should kick in at 155mph = 249km/h.

Most SUVs/vans have limiters at 112mph = ~180km/h from what I've read.

I dont see why they would need to have a limiter before the top speed that the speedo would show is reached. My friend has a Sunbird and the speedo only goes to 160, but I think the limiter is probably around 180. Nothing wrong with burying the needle :D

-Chris

i was suprised to see that my eldorado 97' did not seem to have a limiter.

the last 3 GMC envoys my parents have owned have had speed limiters at 160-170kms/hr. i managed to get my eldorado up to 245kms/hr.

the speedo goes up to 250kms/hr wouldn't they make the limiter to cut down before the maximum speed on the speedo(not that i am complaining). i was just curious if anyone knows if they have a limit and what is it?

Your driver's door sticker will tell you what your factory programmed speed limit is, by what speed rating the tires had that were originally installed on your car.

If the sticker says 'Z' rated tires, the computer will shut of the fuel at a little over 150 mph. If it says 'H', the limit will be 130 mph. The remainders shut off at 115mph, if I remember correctly.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Had my 95 eldo @ around 113 today when "THUD" the computer kicked off the fuel....pissed me off...I was floatin' .....anyone know how to disable this feature?...I seem to remeber a post about diabiling the limiter...but I think it involved a new chip or something...

A.J.

Was woundering the same thing. W rated is still a high rating. Any ideas on the top speed for the w rated factory installed tires?

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

Hi

JimW you could always take it our on the road and open it up and find out where the speed limiter kicks in.. I have the H rated tires on the door sticker I have only had it up too 119mph and it still had some left to go..I had to back off I was comming up on traffic...One day when I'm by myself I'll figure out where that speed limiter kicks in. I just hope no radar traps are around.

Just joking around

Cheers

Jim

Was woundering the same thing. W rated is still a high rating. Any ideas on the top speed for the w rated factory installed tires?

I think 150 or 155 is kind of an auto industry self-imposed speed limiter, especially in Europe. I think all Mercedes and BMWs that I've seen had that for a speed limiter, although their actual top speeds were probably higher. Especially considering the Seville is a very "exportable" car for Cadillac, I'd say they kept the 150-mph speed limiter.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

" I'd say they kept the 150-mph speed limiter."

Let's hope so. Not many places to wind er up to 150 up here. Sounds like a road trip in the future.

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

Gentleman:

www.domesticperformance.com advertises the 1993-1995 Cadillac 4.6l Northstar performance Chip for $370.00. The question is whether it will cause more problems than its worth. You know the old saying: “If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.” After reading the posts about speed limiters and checking my Eldorado only to find that it has S rated specs, it dawned on me that someday I could possibly find myself looking at the back of a Yugo as it top ended me and smoked away into the sunset. :o Now, what's the name of that psychiatrist? LOL

They state the following:

We will provide a list of some of the standard options so you can get an idea of what can be done. These options are for a 1993-1995 Cadillac Northstar.

Speed limiter Torque management Traction control Better spark curve Firmer trans shifts EGR flow Converter lock Fan on/off Each chip comes with a lifetime warranty. 35 Day money back Guarantee on Any Performance Chip/Recalibrated PCM Product. ALL CHIPS ARE NOT SMOG OR STREET LEGAL IN CALIFORNIA AND ARE INTENDED FOR OFFROAD USE ONLY. MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAW'S REGARDING MODIFIED CHIPS IN YOUR CAR.TAKING YOUR CAR ABOVE ITS ORIGINAL SET SPEED LIMITER LIMIT IS DONE AT YOUR OWN RISK AND DOMESTIC PERFORMANCE AND ITS SUBSIDIARIES TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ACCIDENTS CAUSED BY EXSESIVE SPEED. Enjoy.

Mike

JIMDTS Posted on Mar 8 2004, 04:15 PM

JimW you could always take it our on the road and open it up and find out where the speed limiter kicks in..

Hey man... this car is plenty strong for me. Don't know how fast it will run but it will walk right up 100 MPH plus as all Northstar owners know ... or would reasonably presume to be expected to know! ;)

My guess since the tires are rated beyond the 155 MPH limiter I would presume that is the top of the line ... but who knows!

Jim

Archived