CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

97 Deville strange problem

I have a 97 Deville, just been a few days it shows up very strange problem. When I drove on the freeway at 130km/h, the Service Engine Soon light shows up, and stays until I shut off the car for a couple of minutes. Once I get it restarted, the light would go off. However it's gonna show up again when I come back to the highway at the similar speed or I accelerate the car at about 3000rpm for a few seconds. It's just doing the thing back and force. Any idea about the problem? Thanks in advance. BTW, when the light is on, the tranny will work improperly or I should say a bit harder than usual untill I restart the car. But when the light is off, it will be fine for all.

I have a 97 Deville, just been a few days it shows up very strange problem. When I drove on the freeway at 130km/h, the Service Engine Soon light shows up, and stays until I shut off the car for a couple of minutes. Once I get it restarted, the light would go off. However it's gonna show up again when I come back to the highway at the similar speed or I accelerate the car at about 3000rpm for a few seconds. It's just doing the thing back and force. Any idea about the problem? Thanks in advance. BTW, when the light is on, the tranny will work improperly or I should say a bit harder than usual untill I restart the car. But when the light is off, it will be fine for all.

Your car is equipped with onboard diagnostics. You can access stored trouble codes by pressing certain buttons on climate control. Someone will chime in with specifics for your model year. You most likely have current tranny related codes and these codes will turn SES light on.

Welcome!

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Sounds like a bad shift solenoid. It will reset itself everytime you restart the car and not trip again until you reach 3rd or 4th gear, then it goes into limp mode (2nd) gear, until you shut the car off. I do not know what the obdII code is for the transmission shift solenoids. There is a lot of info on "shift solenoids" in the archives. It is about the least expensive thing that can happen to your tranny. $150-$350 parts & labor depending on whether you get it done at a dealer or a REPUTABLE tranny shop.

Archived